Making the forum private... completely?

I recommended a few of my friends to come here and register... but apparently, they'd rather "just lurk". I'm fine with this, really, but it's a bit disheartening to hear your friends ask you to get them stuff on the forum. One of my friends kept on badgering me to "post more" so I would gain VIP status and "get files for her". I told her "no" and advised her to register and become a VIP subscriber / VIP member herself. Needless to say, she became angry. Still, I didn't cave to her requests. :no:

So anyhow, I was just wondering... have any of you admins/mods ever thought about making the forum private? I mean, it'd discourage a lot of the lurking that people do... and also protect the privacy of some forum members here?

[quote=Rules]VIP membership is non-transferable and is for your personal use only: Only one person is allowed to own and make use of each VIP username. We reserve the right to suspend any VIP membership and/or permanently ban the username if we suspect the username in question has been shared by more than one person.[/quote]

Well it's a good thing you're not going to be giving out files to your friends because there is this rule. This means you can't just share one VIP account with the whole class.

As for your suggestion, I think making it completely private might lose us members. Some people might lurk then eventually register. Besides there's lots of help that you can get just from forum posts alone. We exist not just for the files, so we don't want to take away that help from people who for one reason or another don't want to register.

Also we don't want to look too disencouraging. Fair enough we're not the friendliest people when people ask us to be VIPed, and we do badger quite a lot of them with stuff like "we've contributed we want something out of you now" sort of arguments. But at the end of the day this place is here for the current IB student and not for us, and we do genuinly want to help! because God knows me and Hien spent hours of sleepeless nights (willingly) giving tips/advice to the random tsr poster back in the day when we didn't have work of our own!

But yea making the whole place private is just too discouraging...