TOK presentation on Race

IB_sucks

My group and I have formulated a topic for our TOK presentation and it is "Does Race exist?" I thought of this topic because my 8th grade history teacher was the one to first bring it up in a class and i was really interested in it. Is this topic too cliche or not creative enough etc. Can anyone give me feedback on this. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='IB_sucks' post='41262' date='Mar 21 2009, 01:18 PM']My group and I have formulated a topic for our TOK presentation and it is "Does Race exist?" I thought of this topic because my 8th grade history teacher was the one to first bring it up in a class and i was really interested in it. Is this topic too cliche or not creative enough etc. Can anyone give me feedback on this. Thanks in advance.[/quote]

I don't think it's too cliched. If you were doing euthanasia or abortion or stem cells, well they've been done to death, but your topic sounds interesting to me. I imagine you'll have interesting discussions... with those trying to defend the notion of actually scientifically splitting humans into different "races", it should be easy to counter, by challenging them with the gradual nature of evolution, and just how you can put up this random boundary of "race" at certain biological phenotypes.

(For what it's worth, I think most people, when they talk about "race" and different "races", just mean something along the lines of ethnicity, or common traits, not what, at least I think of as race. But I could be wrong.)

You should be sure to use isolated rural communities to show how race can exist in certain places. 'Race', genetically speaking, is a load of people who're very genetically close. Not so many people like that nowadays, but in some very rural locations, it can happen :)