General World Literature English A1

roberta

Here is the thing. We were told by the teacher to give in a title for our World Literature Essay 1, but I really dont know what topic to chose, this is largely because I dont know how to structure my World Literature Essay (or what the format is, or what the requirements are...)
Does anyone have a general outline about the World Literature Essay for A1 English?
I know that it has to be a comperative study, but I would also like to attain some mark schemes or a gerenal criteria perhaps. It would be very useful if someone could provide me with something like this...
Thanks alot :D

Edited by roberta

Simple google search will give you the criteria
[url="http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:H36OqxzHzI8J:www.bisnet.or.id/vle/mod/resource/view.php%3Fid%3D5602+world+literature+a1+hl+criteria&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a"]http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:H36Oq...lient=firefox-a[/url]

As for a title, the best thing to do is find a theme (love, death, war, symbollism, imagery, dialogue) which runs through both texts and then compare them straight off like that.

World lit pieces are relatively easy due to the lack of marks given for language analysis.

The biggest thing for the WL paper is to pick a nice NARROW topic that is present in both works. If you have an aspect that is too big, then you won't be able to fully talk about it in the 1500 word limit. Also, remember this is a comparative, so pick a topic that you can easily compare and contrast between the novel. Something like the use of ____________ or to what extent the authors use __________ to __________ is a good way to approach it. Also, I recommend a comparative structure that is AB AB AB rather than AAA BBB, since it focuses more on the comparison.

Good luck :D

• 2 months later...

[quote name='LinuxBeta' date='19 March 2009 - 11:57 PM' timestamp='1237499857' post='41034']
The biggest thing for the WL paper is to pick a nice NARROW topic that is present in both works. If you have an aspect that is too big, then you won't be able to fully talk about it in the 1500 word limit. Also, remember this is a comparative, so pick a topic that you can easily compare and contrast between the novel. Something like the use of ____________ or to what extent the authors use __________ to __________ is a good way to approach it. Also, I recommend a comparative structure that is AB AB AB rather than AAA BBB, since it focuses more on the comparison.

Good luck :P
[/quote]
I agree. Narrow, narrow, narrow are the ways to sucess!

I think you should keep in mind the texts for your world lit, then decide something that is prevalent in both the texts. That;s what helped me. I did Medea and doll's house, so I thought both have lead female characters betrayed by their husbands, in very different ways and that leads both of them to abandon their children, so there was my essay topic, motherhood in both the texts. It is a comparative study by the way. Hope this helps you.

Edited by samt_mansha

• 2 weeks later...

a good structure for the WL essay would be to have an introduction, then talk about one aspect, for both books, of your topic as a whole in seperate paragaphs. this means dont make one paragraph for one book, talking about all of the aspects in one paragraph, and then another paragraph for the second book. have paragraphs that talk about both books related to one aspect