In a bit of a dilemma..

Nebulae

I have the choice of either staying in the US for one last year, finishing high school, and then moving to Sweden along with the rest of my family, and going to college.

Or, I can move with them, and take the IB program, which will take two years. (Skipping the first 'prep' year in Sweden.)

I'm currently in a private American high school, sophomore year (11th). And to be perfectly honest, I'm not the sort of person that is interested in school, but I see the necessity, and as such, I still study (No more than 30 minutes a day, never on the weekends, other than for exams.) but, I'd rather just have fun with friends / other miscellaneous activities.

I generally get grades in the A to B range (Mostly B :( ), with the occasional C. I'd consider my school's difficulty above the average American public school (Which doesn't say much.)

The field I've always been interested in, and plan on pursuing is computer science.

I suppose the real question is if an IB diploma would be too much for someone that is not accustomed to putting too much effort into school, and if it would even be worthwhile with the field I'm going into.

If anyone knows of any other alternatives to the two possibilities I mentioned, they would be appreciated, as I'm stumped. :D Flip a coin?

I'd be taking:

English A1 SL (They don't offer HL unfortunately.)

Swedish B HL

Psychology HL

Chemistry SL

Physics HL

Math Studies (or SL, haven't decided, guidance please?)

You do end up putting a lot of effort into schoolwork, although mostly in IB2 rather than IB1.

All I would say is that if you're not a straight A student for certain subjects, you may find it hard. Physics at HL and Maths at SL are actually quite demanding (especially Physics) so I'd be sure you're getting As in those already. Otherwise your choices seem easy enough-- Chemistry is tough, but not so bad at SL.

What about looking to see what universities want in terms of IB grades to do computer science? Anything related to computers usually shrieks "maths" to me, and Studies (even SL, depending on what you do) might not be enough for them to accept... Studies is mostly statistics, whereas SL is methods, and HL is... nobody really knows. HARD!

I think to be successful in IB, you really do have to work. 30 minutes a day won't cut it, and no studying on weekends isn't good either. Also, I agree with ongfufu. Our school doesn't even offer Physics HL, but if you are doing Math Studies, physics HL will be really difficult. Definitely take at least math SL, if not HL. I know that in Canada, you do NEED mathematics, rather than math studies, for computer sciences.

your course selection of the 2 sciences, especially HL physics, wont prove very wise if you are not accustomed to work. I do appreciate your honesty, most people post lies and never get the real advice they are looking for. I love blunt people :D

My first thing I thought of is that you will struggle. It is very crucial to go through the first 2 years, and learn what kind of student you are. Especially if you are going from no studying, to some. It seems like you have the capability to do some good stuff to your choices :P , but the question is will u be able to initiate this and hit the ground running? Most students dont, and therefore suffer. I have to tell you that those 2 years taught me a lot as a student, and they allowed me to become much better once I really hit my HL classes. (though I have to admit I have been really burned out). My advice to you is, go for IB. American high schools, especially private no offense, are not that great. I have many many friends who go to these schools and their education is not comparable. In actuality, half of them exactly dropped out of IB and went there. I dont think you should pursue the private school. Go to Sweden IB, and mentally - I am telling you get ready for what is coming. Aboo please dont kill me, but I have to do this, ABSORB everything you can about your upcoming classes. First and for most, some advise you wont find anywhere. Study up your classes now, like HL Physics - you sound like you can afford a good tutor, so do that and get ready for the upcoming year so the first semester will be a breeze. That word I capitalized, absorb, is important. I want you to think of it every time you are in class, tutoring session and studying. You only have two years to absorb what you need.

Also, HL Physics and math studies is a unheard of combo. your mathematics skills have to be at HL Math / SL Math if you would like ot be successful in Physics. Chemistry will just be lots of work.

Dont get lost in the bull crap others tell you (sometimes I think my advice is overwhelming and falls into this category), allowing others to influence your work habits. Like spending little time in one class cause its considered "easy". Always remember, you are on international standards. Regardless of what goes on in the classroom. SO be highly independent.

Edited by biochem

I think you should consider your future. What grades would you need with a high school diploma or transcript or whatever to go to university in Sweden? Could you get them? What would you need in terms of IB grades?

Also, most IB schools in Sweden are both very good and have very high standards. I can't speak for all of them, but several of the schools I hear of regularly have good students and expect good results; this may be very stressful for you if you aren't used to working. With an average of no less than 35 per year (I don't think my school, for instance, has ever been below an average of 36 in over ten years of offering the IBDP) in many schools, I assume it can be quite tough to come here if you aren't very focused and quite ambitious.

Furthermore, the time you seem to have allotted for studying is... forgive me, but it is kind of ridiculous. I'm not saying you'll be studying 24/7, but never expect to be able to not do any homework for a whole weekend. And don't think that 30 minutes per day will be enough; what with all day-to-day assignments you'll be forced to work more than that in the afternoons.

As for Maths Studies + Physics HL it's pretty much impossible, or at least very bad strategically. At my school it is advised not to combine Maths Studies with Chemistry HL because you'll struggle with the maths in it - just imagine it with Physics! So I agree with the people who have pointed that out above. Also, sciences require a lot of work. Be aware of that.

I can see how you'd be prepared to do the IB just to be with your family, though. :P If you think you can live with the stress, some more studying than you're used to, and so on, I think you'll be fine.

Physics HL and Math SL is a no-go, for almost anyone. Its hard to cope with HL Phy when you're taking Studies or SL in Math. Studies is statistics and accounts type stuff, and SL is basic Math like how you might have done in America..(geometry, algebra, trig, limits, etc) HL is a harder and more in-depth version of that.

At my school they offer you the option of dropping Math and taking Computer Science instead. Would you be doing that? Of course if you take CompSci, then you DEF cant take Phy HL

And IB is hard if you dont like work :P As I am finding out now :|

Physics HL and Math SL is a no-go, for almost anyone. Its hard to cope with HL Phy when you're taking Studies or SL in Math. Studies is statistics and accounts type stuff, and SL is basic Math like how you might have done in America..(geometry, algebra, trig, limits, etc) HL is a harder and more in-depth version of that.

At my school they offer you the option of dropping Math and taking Computer Science instead. Would you be doing that? Of course if you take CompSci, then you DEF cant take Phy HL

And IB is hard if you dont like work :D As I am finding out now :|

About half of the physics HL people in my group have Maths SL and they're doing fine. We're not allowed to combine maths studies and physics, but for maths SL it's fine and I haven't heard of anyone getting problems due to the maths. As for chemistry, there's some students with chemistry HL and maths studies, so I'll guess that works... But there's some maths in chemistry as well, so you shouldn't despise it if you're into chemistry.

Physics HL has been diluted enough so that students taking SL Methods can cope. :) Studies... not so much.

I can't imagine Chem HL and maths studies. *shudder*

I think I'd be left considerably out of my depth!

I have to say I strongly disagree with this. Especially since I stuck up for my friend when he had this issue. We both had the math teachers at the school analyze the assessment statements, book and the study guide and they said "quadratic formula is all you need". So I am not sure exactly where you are finding difficult math problems, because equilibrium, organic, etc (hardest topics) dont require much math beyond math studies.

It's probably possible, it's just it'd make my brain meeelttt if it were me, is all. I didn't mean to offend your friend or anything :)

My personal relationship with maths is very much hate-hate :) The same for any maths involved in chemistry. I have a novel ability to mess up anything involving cancelling out, logs aaand actually adding up, too, come to think of it. That and also people who pick to do studies maths are generally pretty hopeless at maths (true where I am, anyway) and doing it solely to fulfill the IB requirement, so the idea of disliking maths that much and then taking a reasonably mathematical science would seem evil to me.

Wasn't trying to assert anything besides my personal opinion! (: I'm sure that if you can cope very well with mathematical concepts and put some effort in, studies is cool too.

I have to say I strongly disagree with this. Especially since I stuck up for my friend when he had this issue. We both had the math teachers at the school analyze the assessment statements, book and the study guide and they said "quadratic formula is all you need". So I am not sure exactly where you are finding difficult math problems, because equilibrium, organic, etc (hardest topics) dont require much math beyond math studies.

The quadratic formula is only needed for equilibrium, and even then, rarely. Honestly, Chem HL encompasses nothing beyond simple multiplication and division. You don't even need Studies, honestly!

Hmm... just remembered there's a bit of logarithms involved. But that's like GCSE/pre-pre-pre-IB math...

Edited by Irene

The quadratic formula is only needed for equilibrium, and even then, rarely. Honestly, Chem HL encompasses nothing beyond simple multiplication and division. You don't even need Studies, honestly!

Hmm... just remembered there's a bit of logarithms involved. But that's like GCSE/pre-pre-pre-IB math...

Exactly :) very nicely put. Below intelligence of math studies (which I still regard as a advanced class compared to others).

HL chem is about using their formulas, to find their variables. Thats it really. But trickery is involved in different ways.

none of these classes are hard at all honestly. not a single IB class. It is just the mere fact of taking 6 others along with that one, that contributes to a difficult class because u need some time to develop the right skills and in a very short amount of time.

I think people who struggle might refute that one :)

For some people concepts come harder than others, and classes can be very confusing and difficult even though for others they are simple. Just on a side note, we didn't do any logarithms until IB (normal GCSEs), although it is reasonably alright to get the hang of them (well, in comparison with the rest of the IB maths course P: ).

Honestly, if I were you, I would finish my secondary education in the United States and go to college in Sweden afterwards. IB is all about work ethics, and there's no point in trying to "fit the mold" if it'll only make you suffer. Personally, at times, I do regret going to IB because I honestly do not have the work ethics for it. Your work habits are sufficient for IB if you are naturally gifted, but most people in IB do study more than that (although not significiantly so).

I know that Physics HL is a killer. So, good luck with that, if you do ultimately pursue IB.

I'm just wondering - why is it that you have to go to college in Sweden? Can't you just stay in the U.S. while the rest of your family moves? Do most post-secondary institutions in Sweden actually teach in English? :D

Edited by greaterthaninfinity

Honestly, if I were you, I would finish my secondary education in the United States and go to college in Sweden afterwards. IB is all about work ethics, and there's no point in trying to "fit the mold" if it'll only make you suffer. Personally, at times, I do regret going to IB because I honestly do not have the work ethics for it. Your work habits are sufficient for IB if you are naturally gifted, but most people in IB do study more than that (although not significiantly so).

I know that Physics HL is a killer. So, good luck with that, if you do ultimately pursue IB.

I'm just wondering - why is it that you have to go to college in Sweden? Can't you just stay in the U.S. while the rest of your family moves? Do most post-secondary institutions in Sweden actually teach in English? :zomg:

It's not that I have to, I could stay if I wanted, but education is free (After you pay your taxes XD ) in Sweden if you are a citizen (Dual citizenship), and I already know a bit of Swedish from hearing so much of it during my childhood, so it shouldn't take too long to use it fairly well, though the spelling would be hard. :P

Also, thanks everyone for so many responses, keep them coming should you have anything else to say. :P

As well, if anyone has any experiences with this school / boarding schools in general, I'd like to hear it, as I'm currently looking into it/them.

Personally, I had almost no studying habits in first two years of high school, and now I manage to cope with IB pretty good. (predicted 43/45)

Regarding your subject choice:

For computer science you'll need more than Math Studies, definitely SL, and preferably HL. But if you don't feel confident about Math, don't risk HL. And good luck with Physics HL - I think it shortened my life for couple of years-pretty demanding. XD (My advice, if possible: Math HL, Physics SL)

Good luck with everything.