OPVL-History IA, help!

13cents*

:( My History IA is due in next week, and I have no idea what to do for the evaluation of sources section! I don't get what we're expected to put there...do we just analyze using OPVL, the same as in a Paper 1? One of my classmates said we are supposed to explicitly state "the origin is" and "the purpose is" etc. Is that a useful strategy? --Thanks!

This is straight off an official-looking sheet we got:

Evaluation of sources:
This section should consist of:
-a critical evaluation of [b]two[/b] (only two) important sources appropriate to the investigation
-explicit reference to the origin, purpose, value and limitation of the selected sources
Note: there needs to be something to say about it.

I did what I do in Paper 1 but considerably more in depth. Since you're able to research the sources, you should do that. Don't spend hours and hours, but make sure that you're not just saying the superficial things. (About 200-250 words per source was the guideline amount our teacher advised us to use.)

As for whether or not to use the terms explicitly, I'd say you should probably try to include "purpose", "value" and "limitation" in that order for each source. In some form, at least. At the very beginning you should say something about the origin (usually including year and geographical area), but I personally don't think you necessarily need to use the wording "origin"; it sounds ugly, imo.

For one of my sources I evaluated Mein Kampf, and wrote about the translator (who was an Irish Nazi propagandist) and how his bias is evident in his introduction to the book. I described the book's purpose (to broadcast Hitler's ideology to the masses). Then I wrote about why the source was valuable, and what limitations otehr than bias it had (time period, since it was published before the start of WWII).

The origin and purpose of the source are very short descriptions, and don't use up a lot fo words. 1 sentence, or 2 at most. What you spend most of the 250 words for each soruce writing about is the limitations.

In some secondary sources, the authors actually give you the purpose in the preface (depending on the source). One of my big sources had this in the preface: "My purpose in writing this book is to educate..." and I pretty much just copied & pasted that. Read the introductions! :P But yes, OPVL is exactly what I did, just longer.

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure that you actually say the words of OPVL in the Evaluation of sources. Approach the sources in the same way you would on Paper 1 but expand your evaluation by a little bit. This should be one of the easier areas of the IA, so don't start too much analysis. It should be around 250 words total I think.