First IA

mephisto275

Ok, so first off, i'm new here at IB survival, i can't believe that i hadn't heard of this site earlier! It's always good to know that there are other people out there going through the same stress and social suicide that i am, especially when the 2nd closest IB high school to the one i go to is 300 miles away.

Well...to get into the discussion, we've been assigned our first IA and its a bit of a daunting task. As if the problem weren't hard enough, the task of writing an actually paper on it is even harder! I've never written any kind of math report before and even our teacher has said that getting all 20 marks is nearly impossible...grim words! If any of you all have any tips, i would be so grateful, and thankful!

Once again, just the fact that there is a community out there going through the same things i am is help enough : )

The IA is not very difficult. What you're going to need is to first read the criteria for the portfolio.

[url="http://www.lancaster.edu.mx/lancaster/lancaster_news/img_affiliations/IB_Syllabuses/IB%20Mathematics%20HL%20syllabus.pdf"]http://www.lancaster.edu.mx/lancaster/lanc...%20syllabus.pdf[/url]

Then, when you get your specific task, take a look at the questions, see if you have to review any background (ie/ probability, logarithms, etc) and then start answering. Remember to refer to the syllabus and to cover all the criteria. If you end up having questions, there are topics in the Mathematics section on pretty much every prescribed topic, unless it's made up by your teacher.

: ) thanks for your help. What do you think is the hardest part of HL math? I was a calc student before I started, so its all been pretty much review, and extremely rigorous review, but a just review none the less, and this IA is the first thing that's really kicked by butt. Does it get harder? I've heard scary things about the vector chapter...

The vector chapter isn't hard, but it isn't easy. The portfolios really aren't difficult- they're just time consuming, and you have to approach them right. It depends what you mean by harder. Math is not hard if you practice. Everything comes with practice and a good foundation.

: ) that makes a lot of sense. I wish i would have been more informed about the IB program before I started it. I think if I had realized the vast difference in difficulty between Math Studies and HL math, my decision would have been smarter...Then again, math is important for what i want to get into, so its a necessary evil to fight through. I guess what i meant by harder is more intense. That was the biggest shocker about the class was the intensity of going through a whole chapter every week. I think i've become accustomed to that, i just hope it doesn't get worse.

[quote name='mephisto275' post='39846' date='Mar 9 2009, 06:15 PM']: ) thanks for your help. What do you think is the hardest part of HL math? I was a calc student before I started, so its all been pretty much review, and extremely rigorous review, but a just review none the less, and this IA is the first thing that's really kicked by butt. [b]Does it get harder?[/b] I've heard scary things about the vector chapter...[/quote]
The Option. :) Actually, it's not that bad... just a bit more work on top of everything else. That's all.

Vectors aren't bad at all! Why is everyone saying it's hard? :)