EE in Biology

Doron Koll

Hello everyone,

i am in 11th grade starting my EE, I was thinking about doing it in biology and i came up with a few ideas.

First of All, I love animals and i thought i could do something with them...

I was thinking of looking into animal mutations and the cause of the DNA changes, how and how did it affect the evolution of that species.

Then i checked if i can investigate the mutation animals in Chernobyl caused by radiation but there is not enough information and also the animals there have not been affected as much as expected. Im trying to think about more ideas in that topic and i would like if you can help me think about them...

thank you very much

Doron

1) You want to do an experiment-based EE instead of simply a research essay

2) Testing on animals is generally not allowed. Since you're talking about radiation (which could and will harm the animals) this is definitely not allowed

3) Evolution is a tough topic to handle because of the time periods involved. You only have a few months to plan, conduct, and write everything up, so something that will only take a few weeks to investigate is optimum

4) Go outside and look at your surroundings! Something simple and interesting might pop into your head. If you do a quick google search and the answer is not immediately obvious, voila, you've found your topic. Otherwise, you could always do something using plants/bacteria/fungi

Happy EEing and post if you need more help. I did my EE in Bio, haha. :unsure:

For a Bio EE, remember that there are restrictions on your experiments. In fact, out EEs were mailed out on Friday, and one of my classmates realized only a week beforehand that her EE was on a restricted topic. She was investigating something to do with bacteria in the human mouth (she wants to be a dentist), and she didn't see the phrase stating that you cannot grow bacteria at or near human body temperature. Make sure you check the EE guide, and don't make similar mistakes.

Choose a topic before choosing a subject area i.e. genetics, microbiology, ecology, etc.

You have to come up with a topic by yourself. We can't really help you.

Maybe look at the EE topic thread to get a sense of what kind of topics are acceptable by IB. :P

Edited by Irene

Hello everyone,

ive decided to do my EE on natural selection, and i would like some advice to narrow my topic.

i was thinking about something with the pepper moths or another species. Maybe investigate an origin of a certain species.

as you can see im in the begginning of my prosess so i would like some help

thanks

Doron

or sexual selection

I totally agree with Linux. Besides, evolution is kind of a hard topic in view of the fact that the IB course doesn't provide you with much background as regards this topic. I would strongly recommend you to change your topic into a more experimental one as you won't get a good grade. G'luck!

P.S. If you need help to choose a new topic, just tell us what you would like to analyse/test so that we can give you some suggestions.

Edited by Hedron123

I need to focus on a topic, I decided to do an experimental EE after i heard that it will be better than a research one.

The problem is that i cannot focus on one topic, and i would really like some ideas from you. I want something that we intercat with daily, Bacteria, or plants...

Maybe something with using bacteria to make energy...

Thank you very much

Doron

What's wrong with you?! This is the third thread you start about your Extended Essay, it's getting messy. People aren't going to be more helpful if you start a new thread you know!

I'm merging this thread and please if you have further questions on the EE decision ask on the merged one. We can't have a thread for each question of yours.

Besides, we can't give you ideas for your topic, thats the hardest part. If you come up with a focused topic, we might be able to help you in getting ideas to develop it.

I need to focus on a topic, I decided to do an experimental EE after i heard that it will be better than a research one.

The problem is that i cannot focus on one topic, and i would really like some ideas from you. I want something that we intercat with daily, Bacteria, or plants...

Maybe something with using bacteria to make energy...

Thank you very much

Doron

Honestly, you're starting to piss me off. I've already told you what you can and should do. You either do it, or fail. We are NOT going to give you topics. You can make a million threads - they'll just keep getting merged.

If you have specific questions, I'm here to help.

I will keep this thread open in case you really do need help in the future with the EE. Here's the kind of help we are willing to give you: commenting on your title/topic/research question when you have come up with one on your own. We can also give you advice on how to approach the EE, comment on your experiment method but you will have to show us the thinking you've done first on the subject. We can't give the answer out cold for you. Comprends?