English EE

Serendipity

thats a good question.. :unsure: i was thinking of using one of the main themes of the play 'dreams' or how love unltimatly triumphs at the end, where central characters eventually unite with the ones they love.

i wanted to compare one of these themes with another playwrite, movie or book.

as you can tell im ridiculously confused on my EE...

any help would be greatly appreciated, like really anything.

It sounds like a decent start. For an EE of this type, you'd definately need another piece of work. The issue of dreams sounds promising, depending on what other work you chose. Don't get into too cliché topics like "love conquers all". While it worked for Shakespeare, you'd eventually get a very sappy/preachy EE.

I'd suggest another book, but I am not that much of a reader anymore- IB ruined that.

Hedron123: A comparison between two books written in English is not allowed in A1:

The essay must be a comparison of at least one literary work originally written in the language of the essay with a literary work or works originally written in a different language to that of the essay and probably studied in translation.

This means that you can do compare a book written originally in English and a book translated from any OTHER language than English. Not English vs. English.

What about the marital conflicts between Titania and Oberon as compared with a marital conflict depicted in a Greek myth? There are PLENTY of these (especially between Zeus and Hera) and i'm sure you could find one really similar. In this way, you could compare the similarities and differences of marital conflict (or something else) between two different cultures and periods, through an analysis of key literary works.

Hedron123: A comparison between two books written in English is not allowed in A1:

This means that you can do compare a book written originally in English and a book translated from any OTHER language than English. Not English vs. English.

:) My EE was English vs English (2006). Or is this a new 2009 guide thing?

Taken from the 2009 guide:

A group 1 extended essay should fit into one of the two following categories.

Category 1

The essay must be based on the literature of countries where the language is spoken (that is, all works

discussed will originally have been written in the language of the essay).

Essays that attempt to interpret literary works as reflections of the writer’s life are rarely successful,

tending to produce reductive readings based on second-hand information. Biographical topics should

thus usually be avoided.

Example question: “How is the subject of death treated in selected poems by Emily Brontë

and Emily ****inson?”

Category 2

The essay must be a comparison of at least one literary work originally written in the language of the

essay with a literary work or works originally written in a different language to that of the essay and

probably studied in translation.

Example question: “In what ways do the male authors of Anna Karenina and Madame Bovary

seek to render their heroines sympathetic to the reader? How far do they

succeed?”

So you should be able to write an EE on two texts that were both written in English originally.

Edited by Vvi

• 2 weeks later...

The ultimate triumph of love is a very important theme in The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde, and The School for Wives by Moliere. Just had to study those two works for my final exams, they're both plays, and neither is very long (at best about 60 to 70 pages). Hope this helps you :(

Category 1

The essay must be based on the literature of countries where the language is spoken (that is, all works

discussed will originally have been written in the language of the essay).

Essays that attempt to interpret literary works as reflections of the writer’s life are rarely successful,

tending to produce reductive readings based on second-hand information. Biographical topics should

thus usually be avoided.

Example question: “How is the subject of death treated in selected poems by Emily Brontë

and Emily ****inson?”

Category 2

The essay must be a comparison of at least one literary work originally written in the language of the

essay with a literary work or works originally written in a different language to that of the essay and

probably studied in translation.

Example question: “In what ways do the male authors of Anna Karenina and Madame Bovary

seek to render their heroines sympathetic to the reader? How far do they

succeed?”

So you should be able to write an EE on two texts that were both written in English originally.

OK, so I'm thoroughly confused now; can I do my EE in English vs English or not? I'm class of 2010. My I'm comparing 1984 and The Giver (might change to 1984 and Animal Farm, both by George Orwell)

This is highly shocking :o Can someone please clarify this?

:)

Edited by Samra