TOK presentation: Non-verbal communication

sydney.js

Hey guys, Im currently in the early stages of my TOK presentation (the first one) and I've decided to do a topic on non-verbal communication, and the importatnce of it etc.
I'm having trouble, however, figuring out how to link it really clearly to a 'knowledge issue', as all i can really think of that could be a knowledge issue is how we know and interpret what people are thinking and feeling through n-v communication. I'd really appreciate some help/suggestions for how I could link a knowledge issue to this.
Thanks a lot!

LOL this is funny! I'v got almost the same topic!!
I choose verbal and non-verbal communication and the related issues of body language, direct information search, emotional feelings, mimic..
As the main knowledge issue i took the subjective use of language and how it can be justified.
Now working on my PP presentation and on the main themes.

Let me know if you found something interesting

Perhaps if you took a certain way of communicating non-verbally and made your topic narrower you could focus it more. For example, looking at how deaf people communicate through sign language (and ignoring the way in which they also use written language) would already be enough for a presentation. Or also just the idea of body language, which you raised already (facial emotions, subconscious signals we give off like crossing of legs, arms, cocking of the head). For that it would be interesting to discuss covert sexual signals that humans give off, as in that case body language rather than language seems to be more important, or they at least go hand in hand far more than in other cases. You could pick several emotions like anger and fright to discuss.

The knowledge issues for both would be linked to the question of how important the spoken language ultimately is for humans. If we can communicate without words, why do we choose to use words at all then? Obviously because they give our ideas precise names, and are asier to interpret than body language. That is a subjective viewpoint though, since some signals given off by humans like frowning are very clear indicators of mood and don't even need words to clarify them.

I have already finished my TOK presentation, and it went pretty well. I found that what is important in both the presentation and your essay is that you show how you understand the CONNECTIONS between knowledge areas. For example, a "knowledge issue" with non-verbal communication is that it is ambiguous. How does that affect the conclusion you reach? How does it influence other areas of knowledge? For example, what how does non-verbal communication affect language? We sometimes say he "says one thing and means another". How do we know this? Which do we value more, what he is saying, or what we believe he is communicating through his body language? What kind of certainty do we reach? So on and so on. Just some questions to get you started :)

thanks a lot guys these are some great ideas to get me started!
by the way, the subject of a PP presentation was brought up, which made me think of how I was going to present my topic.
I was thinking of mostly just oral, with some pictures or clips on an overhead/projector that demonstrated use of gestures etc., is that too bland? Maybe it would be cool to do an exercise that included the class...