IB ESS Research Question Help!

jesselingard0987

A student has identified that lots of food is wasted at lunchtime in the cafeteria. She has also noticed that younger students don’t seem to throw away as much as the older students. She thinks she could link this to her ESS IA

1. What topic would this fall under in the syllabus?
  2. Suggest a question that could be asked about this scenario? Try to make it focused, relevant and coherent.
  3. Outline a short methodology that would allow her to obtain sufficient and relevant data to enable her to answer the question you have proposed

Can anyone help me with this. This can be very vital to help me develop my research question.

• Good Luck 1

3 hours ago, jesselingard0987 said:

A student has identified that lots of food is wasted at lunchtime in the cafeteria. She has also noticed that younger students don’t seem to throw away as much as the older students. She thinks she could link this to her ESS IA

1. What topic would this fall under in the syllabus?
  2. Suggest a question that could be asked about this scenario? Try to make it focused, relevant and coherent.
  3. Outline a short methodology that would allow her to obtain sufficient and relevant data to enable her to answer the question you have proposed

Can anyone help me with this. This can be very vital to help me develop my research question.

1. I don't think your topic has to relate to any ESS chapter, just a global ESS issue. 

2. a) How can food wastage be reduced at the lunchroom's of [school's name]? OR b) What factors contribute to the wastage of lunch food at [school's name]'s cafeterias?

3. For both RQs, use surveys with stratified random sampling.
    a) ask if the student buys lunch from school, how much of the lunch the student eats, what parts they consistently leave out, and if the cafeteria can make any changes to quality, quantity, menu, etc. Give a solution to the cafeteria in your conclusion.
    b) ask if the student leaves out any parts of their lunch, why, and how can the school accommodate. Here, include stuff like time constraints to take into account the differences in food wastage.
    The primary difference in our method for RQ a and b is that a only includes changes to the food, while the second RQ focuses more on how the school can provide an environment that discourages food wastage.

I hope this helps; let me know! 

Run this through with your teacher once, too though. After all, I'm a student too, and what I say might not be that accurate or reliable. 

Good luck!

15 hours ago, ZBSA said:

1. I don't think your topic has to relate to any ESS chapter, just a global ESS issue. 

2. a) How can food wastage be reduced at the lunchroom's of [school's name]? OR b) What factors contribute to the wastage of lunch food at [school's name]'s cafeterias?

3. For both RQs, use surveys with stratified random sampling.
    a) ask if the student buys lunch from school, how much of the lunch the student eats, what parts they consistently leave out, and if the cafeteria can make any changes to quality, quantity, menu, etc. Give a solution to the cafeteria in your conclusion.
    b) ask if the student leaves out any parts of their lunch, why, and how can the school accommodate. Here, include stuff like time constraints to take into account the differences in food wastage.
    The primary difference in our method for RQ a and b is that a only includes changes to the food, while the second RQ focuses more on how the school can provide an environment that discourages food wastage.

I hope this helps; let me know! 

Run this through with your teacher once, too though. After all, I'm a student too, and what I say might not be that accurate or reliable. 

Good luck!

Thanks very much, I am very stuck with my RQ and I found this in my school account activity in thinkib.net. Thanks very much for your help