IA-Historical Investigation (topic help!)

Stefania

Hello Everyone,

I've been struggling with this bigtime!
When we were first assigned the IA-I had originally chosen to focus on Kim-Il Sung and his Cult of personality and his effect on the people in the DPRK. But then my History teacher basically sidetracked us with another unit and once we came back to this-she told us to 'start over' and choose someone different (optionally) Deciding that trying to find out more about my first topic was more difficult than I thought and because I was 'struggling' with trying to write a proper plan and finding good resources, blah blah blah.
I then decided to choose Pol Pot-but then I was told that
"No, when the Khmer Rouge was in power after '79-they weren't the only party in power, and you have to examine a ruler in a SINGLE-PARTY state. You could still do Pol Pot, but It'd be alot more complicated"
I began feeling even more frustrated. So finally-I decided to choose Hitler, I read over all the requirements and booklets. But, I still wasnt so clear on the 'plan' bit (because our example essay sucked) so I decided to choose the topic "How significant was Hitler's role in the holocaust?"

Well..needless to say, my teacher emailed me and said

"I’m struggling with your choice of topic – you need to chose a leader that we are not doing in class so that you have a 3rd choice when you go into the exam"

I feel like I'm pulling teeth here. I'm not even clear on what we're supposed to be doing! Call me stupid all you like, but I really don't understand this! Everyone else in class seems to be doing just fine, but I feel like I'm the only person struggling and whose dumb enough to not understand something that must be so simple. Now I don't even know what leader to pick, what topic to focus on, how to write a proper plan. Heck! I can't even write proper essays!
I'm need some serious help with this. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what exactly to advise you. What worked for me was picking a topic that was relatively obscure- I examined the rise of Communism in one of the Eastern European countries. It was a lot of fun, and it helped that there weren't thousands of books on the subject.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hmmmmmm, we were allowed to do any topic we chose. I know one kid did the vikings. Other examples: armenian genocide, nanking massacre, situation in the congo, U.S. foreign policy in somalia pertaining to UNISOMII (my topic), vietnam war, cold war, korean war, boxer rebellion (I think this might interest you). If I think of anymore examples I will post them. However, these are general topics, you would need to narrow it down to a specific focus.