EE-Edgar Allen Poe

Stefania

Hello Everyone
I only just joined the forum today so Hello! :unsure:
Here's my situation. I'm not a full diploma student. I'm only taking IB certificates in my three HL classes (Theater, History, and English) and have decided to continue with TOK (simply because I enjoy it) and the EE (Yes, you might think I'm out of my mind, but my supervisor did note that she'd write me a reference for uni's-and I am interested in studying literature/writing)

Now I've learned that because of this, I do get more freedom as to what I can write about for my EE.
Now way before I dropped the full diploma-I had decided to focus on Edgar Allen Poe.
Unfortunately I haven't exactly got a specific topic question or thesis statement other than "Looking at connections between his life and his work"

Any ideas as to what I could do?

Pick one or two of his works and look at parallels between his own life and those works. All of his works are too broad to consider in an EE.

Your EE would probably be of a better quality if you picked a specific aspect of his life and considered it in his works. For example, "Death in Edgar Allan Poe's own life and in _____ and _____ (insert book titles here)- To what extent did his life influence his works?"

Any theme like that will work. You must have a thesis statement that you argue throughout your EE; it should never be simply a narrative of how similar his works and his life are. What are you trying to prove in your essay? What other factors were important in creating his works other than his own experiences?