Group 3 Subjects Choice

Person101

Group 3 Subject  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which group 3 subject should I take?

• Geography
    • History

Hello. I am having trouble picking the Group 3 choice for IB. The options are History and Geography. I do not know which one to go with.  When I asked people's opinions of which should I take for IB, most of them, including my parents, suggested that I should take geography since it is the easier subject. However, I dislike geography and I tolerate history. Also, taking IB History would grant me two 12th grade university credits (Year 1: CLN4UE, Year 2: CHY4UE), while IB Geography only grants me one (Year 1: CGD3ME, Year 2: CGW4UE). Also I am not a social science person, which means I can't decide which social science should I go with. I do not know which university program do I want to enter yet, but I want to be somewhere in the science field. These are the other IB Subjects that I intend to take: SL English, SL French, HL Biology, HL Chemistry, and HL AA Math. What do you think would be more suitable based on my preference and my future?

Edited by LanaBanana

41 minutes ago, LanaBanana said:

Hello. I am having trouble picking the Group 3 choice for IB. The options are History and Geography. I do not know which one to go with.  When I asked people's opinions of which should I take for IB, most of them, including my parents, suggested that I should take geography since it is the easier subject. However, I dislike geography and I tolerate history. Also, taking IB History would grant me two 12th grade university credits (Year 1: CLN4UE, Year 2: CHY4UE), while IB Geography only grants me one (Year 1: CGD3ME, Year 2: CGW4UE). Also I am not a social science person, which means I can't decide which social science should I go with. I do not know which university program do I want to enter yet, but I want to be somewhere in the science field. These are the other IB Subjects that I intend to take: SL English, SL French, HL Biology, HL Chemistry, and HL AA Math. What do you think would be more suitable based on my preference and my future?

I'd say go with geography if you're not passionate about history (since you said you "tolerate" it), geography is really easy and even if you find it boring, even without much studying, you can get like a 5/6, a lot of geography is just general knowledge and things you read in the news or something. Also, I don't know about Canadian curriculum, but IB Geography is very interesting imo, it's a bit of politics, learning about the society etc. 

And on top of that I know people who are really good at history and passionate about it and they complain about IB History that it's hard and there is not much time for the essays in the exams and, considering your HL subjects are not easy, it doesn't make sense to add another hard subject.

8 minutes ago, ChocolateAndVanilla said:

I'd say go with geography if you're not passionate about history (since you said you "tolerate" it), geography is really easy and even if you find it boring, even without much studying, you can get like a 5/6, a lot of geography is just general knowledge and things you read in the news or something. Also, I don't know about Canadian curriculum, but IB Geography is very interesting imo, it's a bit of politics, learning about the society etc. 

And on top of that I know people who are really good at history and passionate about it and they complain about IB History that it's hard and there is not much time for the essays in the exams and, considering your HL subjects are not easy, it doesn't make sense to add another hard subject.

I see. Thanks for your insight.