History IA

mecamylamine

You could always investigate the Lucky Luciano's role in World War II. From what I can gather, Mussolini was not a friend of the Sicilian or Italian mafia. He had made it his goal to clean up the city. Rumor has it, the mobsters if you will, assisted the Americans in their invasion of Sicily. Its pretty cool. I highly recommend you look into it.... Good luck finding reliable sources though.

EDIT: I retract my statement about the reliable sources. This myth has more or less been used to glorify the Mafia's image since Mussolini's fall. I'm sure you'd be able to find something.

Edited by flsweetheart422

[quote name='flsweetheart422' post='37317' date='Feb 19 2009, 06:58 AM']You could always investigate the Lucky Luciano's role in World War II. From what I can gather, Mussolini was not a friend of the Sicilian or Italian mafia. He had made it his goal to clean up the city. Rumor has it, the mobsters if you will, assisted the Americans in their invasion of Sicily. Its pretty cool. I highly recommend you look into it.... Good luck finding reliable sources though.

EDIT: I retract my statement about the reliable sources. This myth has more or less been used to glorify the Mafia's image since Mussolini's fall. I'm sure you'd be able to find something.[/quote]

That's one of the problems my teacher said, he said most of it is myth so it's hard to find reliable sources :P

Well, in all honesty, you will probably have a fair bit so say in your evaluation of sources. I know there have been some documentaries about it. I'm sure you'd be able to find some books. My recommendation: Look for some. If you find a bunch of biased sources that say different things, [b]evaluate [/b]them. IB loves that kind of stuff. Its great and it really shows critical thinking and gives you a great opportunity for some high quality analysis.

Sources really aren't that hard to find, you just need to make sure you acknowledge their limitations.

If you like the idea, take a quick look at the following sources. Note: I spent less than 10 minutes searching to find these
*Mussolini: A Biography by Jasper Ridley ISBN: 9780815410812
*Separatism, the Allies and the Mafia: The Struggle for Sicilian Independence, 1943-1948
By Monte S. Finkelstein ISBN 0934223513
*The Honoured Society: The Sicilian Mafia Observed by Norman Lewis ISBN: 0907871488
* Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia by John ****ie ISBN: 0340824352

Edited by flsweetheart422

[quote name='flsweetheart422' post='37400' date='Feb 20 2009, 05:36 AM']Well, in all honesty, you will probably have a fair bit so say in your evaluation of sources. I know there have been some documentaries about it. I'm sure you'd be able to find some books. My recommendation: Look for some. If you find a bunch of biased sources that say different things, [b]evaluate [/b]them. IB loves that kind of stuff. Its great and it really shows critical thinking and gives you a great opportunity for some high quality analysis.

Sources really aren't that hard to find, you just need to make sure you acknowledge their limitations.

If you like the idea, take a quick look at the following sources. Note: I spent less than 10 minutes searching to find these
*Mussolini: A Biography by Jasper Ridley ISBN: 9780815410812
*Separatism, the Allies and the Mafia: The Struggle for Sicilian Independence, 1943-1948
By Monte S. Finkelstein ISBN 0934223513
*The Honoured Society: The Sicilian Mafia Observed by Norman Lewis ISBN: 0907871488
* Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia by John ****ie ISBN: 0340824352[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...

It definately is a bit hard finding a lot of information on the mafia, as one of the key principles of the mafia is omertà, keeping silent from the police for example.

However, I must recommend the book listed above by John ****ie, it is a good read on the mafia of Sicily, that has eventually become weaker and weaker after time..

• 4 weeks later...