Question Regarding Abstracts in EEs

SophieSch

So, I'm doing my EE on a topic within the visual arts and I'm close to finishing.  I noticed many of IB's example EEs have abstracts in addition to introductions but my supervisor hasn't said anything to me about adding an abstract.  Is an abstract necessary and is it included in my word count? (I don't have much room left and I don't want to exceed 4000)

Hi! I believe the abstract used to be required, but after some changes in 2018 it is no longer a part of the EE. Therefore, you should look for some more recent EEs (2018 and onward) as a guide for the recommended structure of your essay.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

In previous years, an abstract was compulsory and not included in the word count but it has recently been removed as a compulsory section, and is included in the word count. It is therefore not necessary to include an abstract and you can include it if you're struggling for words.

Hope this helps!

On 7/29/2020 at 2:08 PM, THP said:

In previous years, an abstract was compulsory and not included in the word count but it has recently been removed as a compulsory section, and is included in the word count. It is therefore not necessary to include an abstract and you can include it if you're struggling for words.

Hope this helps!

That's exactly what I needed to know, thank you so much!

On 7/29/2020 at 11:35 AM, Ella_F said:

Hi! I believe the abstract used to be required, but after some changes in 2018 it is no longer a part of the EE. Therefore, you should look for some more recent EEs (2018 and onward) as a guide for the recommended structure of your essay.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Thank you for the advice! I'll try to find some more recent examples to reference.