Plagiarism

karldiesen

Hi, all! I've just submitted my extended essay. Most of the formulas and concepts have references to the sources (footnotes). Unfortunately I just reread and found out that one or two things that should have been referenced haven't. What could happen? What is the chance of being taken for plagiarism and what are the ultimate consequences? Will I be able to retake my second IB-year?

Does anyone have second-hand experience on this?

Thanks in advance for all answers!

O_O I don't mean to scare you, but basically, should you be found guilty of plagiarism - you will be exempt form getting your IB Diploma.

Umm...the chances..Well, I dunno the answer to that. I know our school runs them through a machine that actually tells you the degrees of Plagiarism. I know that IB still checks for Plagiarism during grading, for anything out of the ordinary. So I would say just wait, but, do know that there is a chance of getting caught. Second year of IB doesnt come with plagiarism.

I am not trying to be mean, but you should have been more careful :wtf: Especially with something like this, its like a term paper :/

Best of luck!

There's a chance that your school might still have it, so be nice to your IBC and tell her that you forgot to reference something.

The only way that you would get caught for plagiarism is if an extraordinarily high percentage of your essay is copied, which doesn't seem to be the case. So you're safe, but they might dock a few points for not referencing properly.

Forgive me for being rude, If I may come off that way, but how can you receive points off?

thats like saying for an Bio EE, you make a assertion that could be a sentence long "Titration is a analytical analysis of volumetric proportions", and the most you would get is marks off?

Dont get me wrong, I wish u the best with the EE and I hope you score well ,without anything going recognized, but at the current facility I am doing my EE research I have been told zero tolerance for any plagiarism.

I dont think plagiarism various with quantity. However, it is absolutely the truth that most schools have the mechanism for catching this stuff, and IBO is aware of it - and doesn't worry about it as much.

In no way trying to come off rude, just a general thought. Thank you :wtf:

Assuming OP referenced everything else properly, it was merely a mishap on his/her part and not as severe as intentionally not citing sources.

If I'm not mistaken, there's a criterion for citations, bibliography, and stuff of the sort so marks would be docked off there.

It seems ridiculous to fail the essay because of plagiarism when it's pretty clear OP was not trying to pass off info as his/her own.

I think IB is still not as strict as they could be on plagiarism and if it's obvious that it's a honest mistake - you referenced everything else properly and didn't copy word for word anything - then the most that will happen is they take marks off like people have said. Seriously, you may think that IB hounds on you on plagiarism but after having to sit through plagiarism lectures at uni, I wasn't so sure. As long as it wasnt a significant portion of your essay, I'm sure they won't fail it for plagiarism.

• 5 months later...