Language B - Assessment

Tilia

I've read the assessment criteria for paper 2 and the second is called Cultural Interaction, but it doesn't say much of culture there, it's more like "how convincing is the text?", "To what extent is rhetorical devices used?" etc etc. This makes me wonder why the criterion is called that and what do they mean? :rofl:

Do I have to know a lot about German life and culture or what's the point? I know that it's important to use "du" und "Sie" in the correct way, but would I get points of if I for example wrote that München is located in Austria?

All this makes me so confused, I thought Language B was just about learning the language, not about having relevant ideas and good examples as in A1 and A2.

Hope someone can explain it to me.

No, you are not required to know a lot of facts about the culture. What criterion C looks at is how well you know how to use a certain type of text, and if you know how to be persuasive in the language. I found it very useful to cover a topic of rhetorics in French; that really helped me with the argumentative stuff and with knowing what I should include in each type of text. Maybe you could ask your teacher to do something similar?

This criterion is quite similar to criterion C for the oral assessment, too, which is also called something like Cultural Interaction but which deals with how well you interact with your teacher, if you can respond to questions in a good manner, and so on.

So no: you don't need to know everything about German culture to do well in German B.

[quote name='Hyperbole' post='36211' date='Feb 9 2009, 08:20 PM']No, you are not required to know a lot of facts about the culture. What criterion C looks at is how well you know how to use a certain type of text, and if you know how to be persuasive in the language. I found it very useful to cover a topic of rhetorics in French; that really helped me with the argumentative stuff and with knowing what I should include in each type of text. Maybe you could ask your teacher to do something similar?

This criterion is quite similar to criterion C for the oral assessment, too, which is also called something like Cultural Interaction but which deals with how well you interact with your teacher, if you can respond to questions in a good manner, and so on.

So no: you don't need to know everything about German culture to do well in German B.[/quote]

How did you do this "topic of rhetorics"? We have been talking about types of texts that commonly show up in Paper 2, but I've never really learned how to write a formal speech or an newspaper article (IB is more about essays, you now) etc, and the topics given are pretty strict and strange. How similar to a newspaper article or speech or whatever does it have to be?

Not extremely similar. It's things like including a title and a signature if you're writing an article, and knowing how to target an audience with your register and style. You should also know how to write a letters, both formal and informal.

What we did was talk about some rhetoric techniques like using three arguments, appealing to emotion/authority/whatever else you might have, and so on. We also talked about words and expressions you might use to show how parts of your arguments are connected (sammanhangsmarkörer är nog det bästa samlingsuttrycket jag har hört för dem!), like "firstly, secondly, thirdly" and "in conclusion" and all those shiny things.

It really isn't that big of a deal, I'd say. As long as you make sure to not only include the most obvious things to say about a topic, just try to make things persuasive. Your audience should be convinced.

Oh, and as a part of the rhetorics topic we did, we read an editorial about something controversial (beating children as opposed to other kinds of punishment) and then wrote "letters to the editor" arguing against her opinions. So we practised refuting arguments and using counterclaims and things like that as well; it made things less theoretical.

We have got a paper with such words (jag har aldrig hört ordet sammanhangsmarkörer förut, det var ett kul ord :( ), and their quite useful for more formal stuff at least. Over all, we don't do much IB stuff, we've classes with the social and natural sciences programs (Tyska 4) and honestly, most of them are not very good at German. Our school has special languages classes (jag menar klass, inte lektion) as well, so all the students who like German are in those classes. Anyway, we have one IB lesson every week, but its short, so we don't have time to talk much about assessment and stuff.