I need some primary sources for my Historial Investigation

Alexd

My topic for my historical investigation is "The Effects of The Chinese Civil War on the Cold War" I was wondering if this was a good topic or should I narrow the topic down even further. I am having trouble finding primary sources for my project though. If anyone has any primary source ideas that would great. Thanks!

My teacher has told me that primary sources are not neccessary in all historical projects as some topic might be old and can not have primary sources. To me it does not sound like a topic where primary sources can be used because it is not just about gathering information, but analysing it. If you are analysing the effect of something, then there will probably be many historians who have said somthing about it, and it a primary source is really important then i cant imagine that it can be anything else than a speech or sommething...

Think your topic is still very broad. I suggest to focus in an especific type of effects: Economical, social, political? And even so, you will probably need to specify even more. I am not very familiar with the topic, so I can't really give you an example. About the primary sources, have you tried with documents??? Primary sources are always good to find, but if you really can't find anything, don't worry. Just evaluate correctly the reliability of the sources you already have.

Since the Chinese civil war started already in the 30s and the Cold War (well, depending on your interpretation) only in the 40s it would be better to reformulate your question. Personally I would probably concentrate on the effects of its results on the Cold War. For example: "What were the effects of the communist victory in the Chinese civil war on the development of the Cold War?". That still might be rather wide, perhaps you would want to narrow down its effects on either USA or USSR.