Calculating Stuff

chileanbob

Hey all,

I was just curious to know what things are considered (mark-wise) to make up the English A1 HL score for the IB program. My teacher told me it is:

IOP

WL1

WL2

IOC

Paper 1

Paper 2

I was curious to know, because I've not seen any mark boundaries that include the IOP. I've only seen them with INDIVIDUAL ORAL, which I would assume is the IOC. Does anyone know what happens to the IOP grade?

Thanks!

The percentages are as follows:

IOP - 15%

WL1 - 10%

WL2 - 10%

IOC - 15%

Paper 1 - 25%

Paper 2 - 25%

(For SL the WL1 is worth 20%; that is the only difference.)

As far as I understand it, there are two oral components in all Language subjects (possibly apart from Ab initio, with which I have no experience). The scores from the two are added together and divided by two, so you get the average point out of 30. Then that is counted as 30%, so that the total points add up nicely to 100. (This, however, is not true for Language B HL for some reason. I don't really know why.)

So both orals do count equally, but it won't be super obvious if you've done badly on one and very well on the other because only the average will show.

• 1 month later...

Do they count the marks for the WLs together in the same way? And when they calculate the final grade, do they simply take 20% times the marks for WL, 30% times the marks for the orals etc?

Edit:

A second thought, adding these marks would give a final mark of 100, so I guess that's the way of calculating final grades. But how do they convert the marks on lab reports to 24 %?

Edited by Tilia

I thought they can't use .5s. From what I heard, they can only give 4 or 5...not 4.5. That's what I heard from my coordinator, who is an English IB examiner.

Yes you are... a teacher cannot use .5s when marking (although mine did unknowingly)....but according to IB the IOP and IOC scores have to be averaged and if a .5 shows up in this average it HAS TO BE rounded up.

I know this is the wrong place to ask about experimental sciences.

But since you already mentioned it, do you happen to know the mark boundaries for the IA marks for Biology SL?

7: 38-48

6: 32-37

5: 28-31

4: 22-27

3: 16-21

2: 10-15

1: 0-9

There you go. They're the same for Bio, Chem, and Phys; SL and HL. :dead: