B&M (/Economics?) EE

amandae

Okay, so I am to hand in my research proposal on friday next week, and I have some problems with this, I hope you guys can help me..

First of all, I want to write in Business and Management, and I would like to write something about how businesses in Zimbabwe (or another African country) is affected by AIDS or something about how efficient microloanings are and if it is only a "feel-good phenomenon" for people in MEDC's.

Although, I have realised that these subjects might not be that good. They aren't that specific, of course, and I am not even sure that it is B&M.. /: However, my teacher is an Economics teacher outside of the IB as well, so I suppose he could be my supervisor anyway. Also, he has told us that you don't need any primary resources for the EE, but now, after looking around here, it seems as you do... Do you need it or not?..

I want to write something in this type of topics, but I don't know how good they go with the subject? Maybe it is better to choose to write in another subject, as Peace and Conflict or something... But then of course alter the topics.. I mean, I want to write my EE in a subject I find interesting..

Well, I find myself in big trouble here, and I hope you can help me...

If you haven't studied Economics at IB level, don't do an EE in it. The terminology, graphs and understanding of how an economy works is not something you can write about without having gone through the syllabus.

The same thing would apply to Peace and Conflict Studies. There are specific theories that are covered in the Peace and Conflict studies syllabus, and if you haven't studied them then you will most likely get a low mark on your EE because you didn't include them.

You should aim to have a mix of primary and secondary sources for your EE. If you EE is about Zimbabwe, you won't be able to collect data yourself. However, you can use data that you find online (even government sources, and then compare their figures with outside ones like the World Bank).

As for your topic, I can't help you with whether or not it is an appropriate B&M topic since I don't take the subject myself. First person to go and ask would be your teacher.

[quote name='deissi' post='35304' date='Jan 31 2009, 09:30 PM']As far as I know, a business EE should analyze a firm and its decisions or something related, not the decisions of the firms in an economy. It's like an in-depth case study.[/quote]

Oh okay, so e.g. if I would like to write about how Mugabe nationalizing the businesses is affecting the small enterprises, that wouldn't be possible either?
Hum, I think I have to have another meeting with my teacher...

Thanks for the help, both of you!

[quote name='amandae' post='35306' date='Feb 1 2009, 04:48 AM']Oh okay, so e.g. if I would like to write about how Mugabe nationalizing the businesses is affecting the small enterprises, that wouldn't be possible either?
Hum, I think I have to have another meeting with my teacher...

Thanks for the help, both of you![/quote]

That would be more Economics than B&M. A B&M reflects the changes of a decision to a business or a few businesses. In your question, you are more targeting the effects of a change of economy on the entire business community.

A B&M essay should ideally target a company, or at most a business segment.

[quote name='Aboo' post='35318' date='Feb 1 2009, 02:01 AM']That would be more Economics than B&M. A B&M reflects the changes of a decision to a business or a few businesses. In your question, you are more targeting the effects of a change of economy on the entire business community.

A B&M essay should ideally target a company, or at most a business segment.[/quote]

Okay, well now I have another suggestion, maybe not as interesting as the other subjects though, in my opinion...
But this was initially a topic idea for my IA. However my teacher though it was to big of a topic for the IA, but now I'm thinking of choosing it for EE instead.
Here's the topic, briefly;

The bus station in a city nearby changed location from the centre of the city, to a location further away. I am interested to see whether, and how, this has affected the businesses in the centre of the city. Thus, something about the affect of infrastructural change..

What do you think about this for a topic?

Edited by amandae

[quote name='amandae' post='35345' date='Feb 1 2009, 08:48 PM']Okay, well now I have another suggestion, maybe not as interesting as the other subjects though, in my opinion...
But this was initially a topic idea for my IA. However my teacher though it was to big of a topic for the IA, but now I'm thinking of choosing it for EE instead.
Here's the topic, briefly;

The bus station in a city nearby changed location from the centre of the city, to a location further away. I am interested to see whether, and how, this has affected the businesses in the centre of the city. Thus, something about the affect of infrastructural change..

What do you think about this for a topic?[/quote]

That's perfect for B&M. I have a concern, how are you going to measure the effects to the business? After all, there maybe hundreds of businesses there. You need to put some thought into that before you start your essay.

The topic's fine, you just need to think about your execution and if you can actually write 4000 words.

[quote name='Aboo' post='35346' date='Feb 1 2009, 01:59 PM']That's perfect for B&M. I have a concern, how are you going to measure the effects to the business? After all, there maybe hundreds of businesses there. You need to put some thought into that before you start your essay.

The topic's fine, you just need to think about your execution and if you can actually write 4000 words.[/quote]

Well, I was thinking of maybe focusing on just a "small" number of businesses, and then do in-depth interviews.
Or if I am to send out questionnaries or surveys to a much larger number, as well as doing in-depth interviews with some businesses.

And yes, I am a bit worried about if I will be possible to write 4000 words about this topic, maybe the businesses haven't been affected by this at all..

But I think all this will sort out, as long as I have a topic that works.

Thank you for the help (:

Edited by amandae

[quote name='amandae' post='35347' date='Feb 1 2009, 09:48 PM']Well, I was thinking of maybe focusing on just a "small" number of businesses, and then do in-depth interviews.
Or if I am to send out questionnaries or surveys to a much larger number, as well as doing in-depth interviews with some businesses.

And yes, I am a bit worried about if I will be possible to write 4000 words about this topic, maybe the businesses haven't been affected by this at all..

But I think all this will sort out, as long as I have a topic that works.

Thank you for the help (:[/quote]

What you can do if you find no change is talk about why there was no change, and how effective customer loyalty is a benefit in business.

If they are affected, then talk about how they can improve sales. Lots of things you can do :(