English Lit EE (Category 1) - Exploration of the Pursuit of the American Dream in Off Mice and Men and The Great Gatsby

Natu

Research Question: How do the authors of "Of mice and men" and "The Great Gatsby" explore the pursuit of the American Dream during different time periods?

Hi, can you please advise me if my research question is either too broad for an English EE, and if it is how should I adjust it to make it more suitable?

Also, I have already done a brief plan, which is to compare the similarities and differences in how the theme 'American Dream (AD)' is explored in the books during the Great Depression and the Roaring 20s, for instance in 'Of mice and men' the author explores the AD using different characters to represent unattainability of the AD; however, I am struggling on which aspects of the American Dream I should discuss about as well as the depth of exploration or analysis is needed.

So at what depth should my analysis on the American Dream be? And how should I try to implement the different time periods within my analysis?

Can anyone please help me as soon as possible, thank youuu! 

On 8/7/2019 at 1:36 PM, Natu said:

Research Question: How do the authors of "Of mice and men" and "The Great Gatsby" explore the pursuit of the American Dream during different time periods?

Hi, can you please advise me if my research question is either too broad for an English EE, and if it is how should I adjust it to make it more suitable?

Also, I have already done a brief plan, which is to compare the similarities and differences in how the theme 'American Dream (AD)' is explored in the books during the Great Depression and the Roaring 20s, for instance in 'Of mice and men' the author explores the AD using different characters to represent unattainability of the AD; however, I am struggling on which aspects of the American Dream I should discuss about as well as the depth of exploration or analysis is needed.

So at what depth should my analysis on the American Dream be? And how should I try to implement the different time periods within my analysis?

Can anyone please help me as soon as possible, thank youuu! 

Hi,

I think the RQ is a bit too broad; try to expand 'explore the pursuit' and also 'different time periods': both are vague and open-ended. I can't stress enough how important it is to be as hyper-specific as possible in your RQ.  It will lead to a higher score. 

As for which aspects to discuss, choose 2-3 main themes you like, and use examples from the novels to illustrate them across the time periods you mention.  Do not choose so many examples that you spread yourself thin.  Dig down, not out. 

By way of introduction, I am a former DP English Lit and ToK teacher, university counselor, MYP/DP Coordinator and principal of IB schools. I now work full time to support students such as yourself, with the DP, essay writing and university counseling.

Reach out any time if you want my help!

Cheers,

Rob