Chemistry Exam

heartworthy

I'm taking my mid-term today in Chemistry. My teacher is AWFUL and hasn't taught us much. She gives us tests then we raise our hand and she'll look over it to tell us which questions we answered wrong...Seriously. It's great for me, but I've been doing no work (cause oh yeah there's no homework either). Basically our exam used old IB questions--the stuff we haven't been taught. So, we're all going to do poorly ;)

Oh sorry! Haha I got so caught up in talking about the class I forgot to ask it ;)

I was going to ask about how many formulas should we memorize for our IB exam? Especially the ones to show alkalinity and acidity? Our teacher said something about knowing those for period 3.

Edited by heartworrthy

Oh sorry! Haha I got so caught up in talking about the class I forgot to ask it ;)

I was going to ask about how many formulas should we memorize for our IB exam? Especially the ones to show alkalinity and acidity? Our teacher said something about knowing those for period 3.

You mean

pH = -log[H+]

pOH = -log[OH-]

pH + pOH = pKW = 14

Ka x Kb = KW = 10-14?

They're not exactly hard to "memorize", so yes, know them. :P I can't think of any other acids and bases formulae....

Edited by Irene

you should have many things to look over for the exam. We have a memory sheet which keeps on accumulating, in our binder which we add stuff to. Like, top 10 most common reactions and their products, of course the polyatomic ions, some easy things to memorize which make you more efficient on the test. So go back and review from the beginning, things which u dont see on the data booklet. Like the reactivity series.

you should have many things to look over for the exam. We have a memory sheet which keeps on accumulating, in our binder which we add stuff to. Like, top 10 most common reactions and their products, of course the polyatomic ions, some easy things to memorize which make you more efficient on the test. So go back and review from the beginning, things which u dont see on the data booklet. Like the reactivity series.

The reactivity series is in the data booklet though (kinda) in the form of Standard Electrode Potential or something. (Table 14 maybe?)

sounds like my chem class... which is why i'm getting a tutor -_-

It's very frustrating! I thought I did a lot better on the exam than I actually did :/ She gives us flashcards to study, but doesn't make us learn them...it's so pointless. I've been trying to motivate myself to learn on my own, but it's hard.