English B IOC

avrila

I wanted to do this as my oral topic;

"To what extent does summer camp really help in boosting children’s interpersonal skills in the United State? "

The topic should be about the lifestyle of people in the anglophone country. That's why I chose US. And the oral topic should be argumentative. I know that summer camp brings lots of benefit.

But I wanted to say, although it can develop independence and leadership skills; the social problem among teenagers still continue happen.

There's a news about this entitled; "[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7725613.stm"]Teenager 'raped at summer camp[/url]'"

I never go to any summer camp before. My country is not 4 seasons. Anyone have opinion about the summer camp that you went before? Do you think it's good? Is there anything bad about the summer camp that you went through so far? Do you think my topic is okay? Any suggestion to improve it?

Feel free to drop any comments on this.. Thanx..

• 3 weeks later...

from what i experienced, summer camp is really valuable.
It really boosted my confidence to speak in English language.
Being the only Asian in that camp, I was naturally have to speak in English in order to communicate with the rest of the campers.
Hearing others talking also developed my skill in listening.

the only bad thing that i experienced is that I took some time to adapt with their way of socializing and talking.

You can also consider the population of other campers that came from the same country.
They surely tend to just make their own group to play with and avoid speaking with people from other country.
If this situation happened, the summer camp can be turned out as a waste of time instead of boosting once confidence on speaking english language.

you might also disregard the social issue you mentioned since it does not really have relation with your main topic.

Well, I'm done with my oral. I end up not talking about the "rape" thing. I just talk about the positive things about summer camp.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I wish to go to a summer camp but there's no such thing here.
And , do you live in Indonesia? Ya, we are neighbours... :(
Jumpa lagi.. (I love watching Indonesian series)