Paper 3 Essay Writing Help

CommeDesEnfants

What are some tips for Paper 3 essay writing? I know that you're supposed to fully address the demands of the question (ie. to what extent, compare and contrast, etc.) and be as analytical as possible. I've also heard that the topic sentence of each new paragraph should start with something analytical that's related to the thesis. However, what should I do for a thesis in response to the question "Analyze reasons for the success of the Bolsheviks..." For that one, should I just state factors that helped the Bolsheviks (ie. they had the Red Army on their side, Kerensky major failed, etc.?) and then attempt to analyze them? How exactly could I analyze, say, a discussion about the failures of Kerensky? Something like "Kerensky's failures as the Supreme Commander, such as _____ (yeah I should start studying soon!), were exploited by the Bolsheviks and were a major factor in their coming to power by the end of 1917. Would that, say, be analytical enough?

On the last one, I managed to get 14/20 on something about World War I; apparently I had issues with structure.

EDIT: For the aforementioned "analyze" question, should I anaylze Bolshevik strength and provisional government weaknesses? Say, for example:
-Provisional government was a failure
-Kornilov affair rerouted support to the Bolsheviks
-Bolsheviks themselves were rather strong

Edited by Tyrannitar

I think you need to go into more detail. Take Kerensky for example, you should state how his failure was a major factor for the Bolsheviks coming to power. (sorry, I havent studied this theme yet but I hope this was still right).
Btw, I think you can use the same essay writing tips in paper 2 and 3. As far as I know, there is no differences in criteria, but paper3 is only HL.

Capa...