Extended Essay Layout

dexter

Ok Im doing mine in Arabic B BUT the general idea of what im doing is about the effect of tv on kids so i was wondring if i made it into "What is the effect of excess tv on the behavior of children?" is that narrow enough or shuld it be even more? And i was wondering to do 3000 words about that and the last 1000 words on real interwiews with doctors and parents i was wondering about the title and the layout i did any comments??

That is definatly not Arabic B. I believe that should go under psychology. Why aren't you doing it in english?

From my EE guide, you cant do an EE about a subject in a different language from the one you're doing your IB with(english for you), unless you're doing it on ARABIC, as in literature.

Isnt this what your IB coordinator told you?

The topic is good I guess, but obviously you need to carry out experiments to back up your argument.

Found a supervisor yet?

As Mahuta said, you wouldn't be able to do an EE title like that for Arabic B. Language EE's are either about literature in that language or about cultural aspects. What you want to research is psychology. Even if your school doesn't offer psychology, you can still do an EE in it. However, you may not get as good a grade as real psychology students because they know all the theories and you don't. Check the EE criteria, which can be found online, for what EE subject criteria are. If you write a perfect essay and submit it under the wrong category, you can get a low mark for not fulfilling the criteria.

The question is too broad really. My classmate this year did a psychology EE on the psychological effects of war on children. In her question, she specified that she was assessing the effects on girls aged 13-15 years old. "Children" in general is such a broad term to use, since technically it can mean a newborn to a 17 year-old. Gender is also important here. Another friend researched the impact of media on eating disorders in girls. I think her question was too broad, since she could have specified just magazines, television or movies.

If you are doing interviews with doctors and psychologists, they should be incorporated into your essay, not left for last. And you should include the transcript of the interview in your appendix, as you don't want to waste word count by pasting all of it into your essay. Your essay should flow, and is supposed to be an argumentative essay with a thesis that you try to support and convince the reader of. Your EE should not be narrative (a story about anything, with no analysis).

For how to format your EE, look here. http://www.annapolishigh.org/extended_essa...klet%202005.pdf Start reading from page 13. Example EE's can be found here, http://www.karinthy.hu/pages/ib/extended/en/ , I have no idea what mark they received so they could be very bad. Some of them are missing abstracts.

There are EE examples on this site too, for which you need yo be a VIP to download. Ask your teacher for examples from last year's students that you can copy the format from.

Language EE's are either about literature in that language or about cultural aspects.

What Vvi said is totally correct.

You could change your topic to relating to the influences of Arabic TV on Arabic children or how arabic idols are portrayed on Arabic TV. If you want to do it on a cultural aspect in Arabic. Even then I'm not sure if that fits into the criteria so you'd have to ask your supervisor.

What exactly are you wondering about the title and the layout?

I'd advise to just use the cover, headings and header templates in Microsoft Office 2007. They make anything look professional.

everything all of you saidd is 100% new to me our IBC is mental, so i changed it to petra,is it to broad if i talk about petra as tourism and location and all or should it be defined to tourism in petra?? The only problem i am facing now is that if itws narrow you wont be able to collect 4000 words if its broad enough to get 4000 words its "too broad"

What exactly do you want to talk about in Petra? And for what subject do you want to do your EE? Geography? History? You can't just do a narrative on Petra's history or how many tourists go there. EE's need to have a thesis and analyze some specific aspect.

I'm no expert on geography EE's, but here are some previous titles from geography, which all received A's.

-Compare and contrast how rural and urban landscapes affect the water quality of the Barwon River, Australia.

-The effect of location on education attainment of indigenous secondary students in Queensland, Australia

-Sustainable land use in rural post apartheid South Africa: an investigation of of the Mhlumeni community in the Onderberg region of Nkomazi local municipaltiy in Mpumalange Province

Tourism is still related to geography. If you can come up with a question first, people could help you with narrowing down your topic or rewording it.

Edited by Vvi

No I want to do it in Arabic B, the problem is I am taking Bio chem Arabic B all HL, English A1,ITGS,Math

Math,Chem,Bio and English are wayyyyy out of the question ITGS our teacher is lets just say i can teach better ( no seriously)so i want to do in arabic but i never knew all thes rules how can i do it in arabic B and petra cant the tourism ( if wriiten in arabic ) be Arabic B? If not what can i do for arabic B ?

Check out http://schools.4j.lane.edu/ihs/ib/essayfor2009.pdf for EE guidelines. A language B essay is under Group 2, the subject specific criteria.

There are 3 categories in Language B: Category 1 is language, 2 is culture and society (it has 2 types of essay, A and B) and 3 is literature.

I think you want Category 2, part B.

Also look at the examples that they give of bad questions. One of them is "Does tourism have a future in Switzerland?" Check to see if you can make the topic of Petra fit in with any of the criteria (read all of them, A-J).

If i was a English A1 student am i able to do any English topic that is non literature meaning a lnaguage or a soceity one? Beacuse my school is pretty new to this all and I wa told taht if your English A1 you do Lit in eng if your B u can do the whole soceity/langauge So what can i do ??