Biology SL/HL help

Mahuta ♥

If this is a final exam, I am pretty sure it's going to be from past paper questions. Doing online exercises wont really be that useful for your exam. Just make sure you really really understand cell respiration. Believe me if you got to a point where you understand it, you are ready for the exam. Are there any specific parts you don't understand that I can explain?

As for the past questions, here's a page with past questions on respiration: Respiration

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys! I'm sure some of you know who I am, but anyway...

Does any body know the consequence for the lack of lipids in the body?

Does any one also have a good knowledge about the Pancreas?, Pancreatic Lipase?, Lipid digestion in other organs of the body/within the digestive system? and any indicators for Fatty Acids & Glycerol?

Edited by Ma2K

LOOL! As expected, you come right on cue my lady ;)I wish we were related or someting :P

Hmm... Let's see, (types very slowly 'coz left fingers just had rigorous guitar playing) ... So, how can Pancreatic Disease affect the production of Lipase?, What happens if the body has a lack of lipids?

Erm, not most of the time apparently XD

Daaww >.< B-but, I have been doing this thing for nearly 2 hours now and Google is just giving me useless links D: But a book I have does make some sense, but doesn't tell me how lack of lipids will actually do with the body? >.<

Those are specific Maha .

Well for starters, search the importance of lipids in our body. Here's one, you need lipids for synthesis of certain hormons, you will do this next year in bio. Steroid muscles are very important and you need lipids in your body to make them. Also, a lot of tissues in the body that cover important organs have lipids in them, which protects them from shocks (talking about organs like the heart).

Lack of lipids will affect the body, but depends on how much you're lacking. If you dont have pancreatic lipase at all, then most of the lipids will not be digested. Don't say all, because you do have other enzymes that break down certain types.

• Like 1

Hello, I have a question about 'formation of chiasmata' from Topic 10, Genetics (HL).

10.1.2 says "Outline the formation of chiasmata in the process of crossing over."

The IB Biology study guide has a whole box describing the actual process of the formation, including 'synapsis' and things like the DNA molecules getting 'cut'.

My teacher did not provide any such details about this. In my notes that I was given, there is simply 'When the chromosomes touch [during prophase I] a chiasmata forms and the two sections of chromosome swap places.'

I think I'll need to know more than simply that, right?

Thankyou! :)

Also, one other question -

If two genes are linked, does this refer to the fact that the loci of the alleles of the gene are on the same chromosome?

So, if two genes are not linked, crossing over cannot possible occur between them?

Thankyou :D

Hello, I have a question about 'formation of chiasmata' from Topic 10, Genetics (HL).

10.1.2 says "Outline the formation of chiasmata in the process of crossing over."

The IB Biology study guide has a whole box describing the actual process of the formation, including 'synapsis' and things like the DNA molecules getting 'cut'.

My teacher did not provide any such details about this. In my notes that I was given, there is simply 'When the chromosomes touch [during prophase I] a chiasmata forms and the two sections of chromosome swap places.'

I think I'll need to know more than simply that, right?

Thankyou! :)

You should expand that area a little bit, and what it is related to that.

Only thing i can help you in, sorry. :(

It seems to me that your current notes would be sufficient. We only mentioned chiasmata in brief in my class, and that was simply explained as the point where the two pairs touch for crossing over to take place. The May 2011 exam didn't require any knowledge beyond this.

And yes, linked genes are genes that are located on the same chromosome. It's more a concept with heredity and inheritance, and crossing over comes into play because the greater the distance between two linked genes, the greater the chance for the two genes to be separated during crossing over. If you have a 30 cm ruler, and you arbitrarily snap it into two pieces, it's much more likely for the "2cm" mark and the "20cm" mark to end up on different pieces than it is for the "2cm" mark and the "5cm" mark. Using this concept, it is possible to produce gene maps of chromosomes by calculating the recombination rates, although I don't believe gene mapping is part of the IB curriculum.

Edited by Proletariat

Well, the calorie is a measurement of energy (heat) so I don't know how it is broken down.

Enzymes are also super specific (as you learned, it's an objective, their specificity) on what they affect.

So I don't understand your question because it's asking "How much general enzyme (contradiction?) is needed to break down energy (laws of physics don't allow this O.o)?", sorry :(