Chem Help!

Bittersweet

Are you referring to Continuous spectrum and Line spectrum?

[u]Continuous spectrum[/u] determined a radiation which consist of all wave length/colours
i.e: White light is made up of all the colours of the spectrum. When it is passed through a prism, a continuous a spectrum of all the colour can be obtained (rainbow colours)

[u]Line Spectrum[/u] used to determine specific wavelength/colours
1. Atomic absorption spectrum - when electron receive energy and goes to a higher energy level
2. Atomic emission spectrum - when energy falling back to the ground state

Is this what you are looking for. That's all I have for now. Hope you can be more specific with the question.

I suppose you mean the hydrogen emission spectrum. So, according to Bohr's model, electrons occupy specific enegy levels in the hydrogen atom and when the atom is excited the electron jumps to a higher energy level and while it falls back to its original energy level, it releases energy in form of light waves and this causes the line emission spectrum. The energy emitted depends on the transition of the electrons (from what level to what level) therefore the energy emitted by electrons is quantized (in fact that is why we see distinct line in the line emission spectrum defined by the user above me). Electron transtions from a higher energy level to energy level n=1 give us the Lynman series in a spectrum (which is the ultraviolet region), whereas electron transitions to n=2 give us the Balmer series (which is the visible region of the spectrum), and electron transition to n=3 give the Paschen series (in the infrared region). When the energy levels are higher they are closer together. And as the wavelength on the spectrum increases the energy/frequency decreases (they are inversely proportional).

Be carful, Bohr's model only applies for the hydrogen atom. If you're taking chemistry HL it gets more detailed.

I might have forgotten something since this was the first chapter we studied but I hope this will make you understand the chapter better.

Edited by IBdoc