St. Roberts & Bayview Pre-IB Entrance Exam, Advice Needed!!

Will905

5 hours ago, Idontevenknow123 said:

I am the same as you. My math is way stronger than my english. From what I can recall, the questions were direct and obvious. Since they use CAT, it would be direct and obvious, and all you would have to do is look back at the passage if you didn't know an answer. If you really are still concerned, there are practice CAT tests for every grade level. I believe that St.Roberts admission tests are at the Grade 8 level. I attatched a CAT practice test at the Grade 8 level if you want to do it. 

Good Luck!

https://floassets.blob.core.windows.net/files/CAT5 Grade 8 Practice Test.pdf

I really appreciate all the help you have given me, Thank you so much

On 11/5/2021 at 5:28 PM, Idontevenknow123 said:

Hi! To answer your question, I did use the upper level SSAT Math Prep book. I used the SSAT Math Prep for dummies. Here is a link for the book. https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/product/9781118115558-item.html. But, personally I think any SSAT Math Prep book, higher level is just fine. Good Luck on your test!

Hi one quick question. I got the same book u suggested. Did you also do the lower and middle level test question in the book? Also can you a pencil and paper to work out your solutuon or is it all all mental maths and puzzle like questions ?

• 8 months later...
On 11/5/2018 at 7:37 PM, Rebecca1223 said:

Hey,

im in grade 10 pre-ib at Bayview right now, and I also made st.robs. The system has changed greatly actually. You don’t actyally apply specifically to Bayview, you apply to the ib program for all 5 ib schools in York Region. Then, they sort you into different schools (but when you submit your application, you rank the schools you wish to get in, from most to least). However, due to bayview now large population of students, you must live within their boundaries for them to sort your into Bayview and not any of the other 4 ib schools. If you do live very close to Bayview, your chances of being sorted to come here is almost guarantee, but if not, it’s very low. St.robers does only look at test mark. You have a literacy test and math test, all multiple choice. St.robs usually accept 180 students a year and I had 600 applicants in my year. St.rob’s test is much easier than bayview’s. If you wish to practice, do some OSSLT for English and gauss (or pascal if you want a challenge) for math. If you need any other help, just reply to this post and I’ll try my best to help!

Do you know how the alexander mackenzie pre ib test is? I have my ib exam I think the november and I don't k now how to practice for it do you have any advice in math or french?

On 11/5/2021 at 6:17 PM, Idontevenknow123 said:

I am the same as you. My math is way stronger than my english. From what I can recall, the questions were direct and obvious. Since they use CAT, it would be direct and obvious, and all you would have to do is look back at the passage if you didn't know an answer. If you really are still concerned, there are practice CAT tests for every grade level. I believe that St.Roberts admission tests are at the Grade 8 level. I attatched a CAT practice test at the Grade 8 level if you want to do it. 

Good Luck!

https://floassets.blob.core.windows.net/files/CAT5 Grade 8 Practice Test.pdf

Do you have a practice test for math or french? I'm going to Alexander Mackenzie.

On 11/5/2018 at 10:29 PM, Rebecca1223 said:

I chose Bayview over st.robs because Bayview, you can have another elective. At Bayview, you get 2 electives, but at st.robs you only get 1 in grade 9 because religion takes up a course slot. Meaning, if you don’t do civics and careers as summer school, you have no electives in grade 10. Since you’re already not getting any electives in grade 11 and 12 due to everything locked in by ib courses, you might as well enjoy electives while you can since they’re a lot more fun.

I wouldn’t say the french test was that hard...but i did come from french immersion. However, my friends who came from a normal school said it wasn’t that bad. It’s usually just matching word and definition, eliminate the word that doesn’t belong, or matching a word to its definition, the vocab is nothing too advanced. I would say math was a greater challenge for most people as there was a lot of questions and limited time, so you have to allot your time well per question. English is different every year, but it’s usually simple read a piece of text and answer questions relating to the text and an essay (topic is different each year).

Do you have any practice tests for math or french?