N09 M10. To what extent is truth different in mathematics, the arts and ethics?

FahaD

Mathematics: The truth is absolute in math, there are always only a few set solutions to any one problem.

Ethics: The truth can be variable in ethics, as ethics are essentially related to the beliefs and moral values of the society around the person. Sure, someone could say "Killing puppies is unethical!" but if there was a society somewhere where puppies were killed on a regular basis, they would see no truth to that statement.

Arts: The truth is completely subjective in arts, it's near impossible to tell what another person will see in a piece of art, but in the end it's all based on the person viewing the art. For example, someone likes cubism, but someone else hates it.

I'm doing this topic too... I've come to some general conclusions, but I'm a bit stumped by counterarguments for ethics. What could I say?

Well, even though there's the possibility of a completely warped society whose ethics are the complete opposite, ethics are as a general rule, still ethics. Murder and theft will never be considered ethical by a large majority of society. And since society is what ultimately defines ethics, ethics may not be as subjective as previously believed. It's kind of a weak counterclaim, but that's the best I can think of.

(I'm doing this topic too, btw.)

Y'know, I'm having some trouble writing my ToK essay myself. I've written the intro, but I've got a massive case of writer's block when it comes to the body. I've never written an essay like this before, and I have no idea how to do it. Can anyone offer some advice?

I am also doing this topic, and i'm going nowhere. ^^ I was never very god at ToK anyway. Anyway my question is as follows.. Can someone please list some good ToK examples for the arts, math and ethics? as I mentioned i'm not the worlds best ToK student, but i am trying, even if it seems impossible. I'm not asking for examples from your own essays, i just need some to put in my essay. And yes i did try Googling it, but eh well.. I didn't get what I was looking for.

I doubt you'd get anything by Googling so it's pointless trying.

More importantly, a huge part of the TOK marking criteria is to come up with personal examples - i.e. examples from your life, from your work in school, things around you etc. So it would be rather hard for us to give you examples, especially when we don't know what you're going to argue in your essay. Examples are meant to support your argument so you can't just stick random ones in.

I doubt you'd get anything by Googling so it's pointless trying.

More importantly, a huge part of the TOK marking criteria is to come up with personal examples - i.e. examples from your life, from your work in school, things around you etc. So it would be rather hard for us to give you examples, especially when we don't know what you're going to argue in your essay. Examples are meant to support your argument so you can't just stick random ones in.

I see, thanks a lot, believe it when I say that that helps me a lot ^^. I already wrote most of the essay including quotes from noteworthy figures such as Plato, Einstein, Descartes, Camus. I will now insert several examples from my own life. Thanks!

Y'know, I'm having some trouble writing my ToK essay myself. I've written the intro, but I've got a massive case of writer's block when it comes to the body. I've never written an essay like this before, and I have no idea how to do it. Can anyone offer some advice?

What I found easiest was simply sectioning it out and covering it piece by piece. So for this title, I might do something like...

- discussion of 'truth' --> does it exist, how is it defined?

- how we find the 'truth' in maths --> a priori versus a posteriori etc.

- how we find the 'truth' the arts --> subjective truths, role of perception in finding truths etc.

- how we find the 'truth' ethics --> relativism etc. (is there ever an ethical truth?)

- conclusive summary of how truths are different and briefly why (& to what extent, of course) for each area.

Pad it out with the personal examples, introduce paragraphs with compare/contrast type lines and it should be okay. I'd also use that order as it's progessing from more 'solid' truth to less solid truth as you go along, so it's easier to come to your conclusion (which will inevitably be "I HAVE NO IDEA") as if you intended it.

When lost for what to write, always structure it along the question itself, is my advice. You can hardly be penalised for splitting it into the three parts prescribed in the title! :)

• 1 month later...