Spanish chemistry?

Mahuta ♥

I was in Chemistry after school exam revision today, doing MCQ about bonding.

When we were going through it at the end of the hour, and we came across this question, where in the mark scheme it gives 'B' as the answer then it says if taught in spanish the answer is 'C'. So i thought, HUH?!

the question was:

Which of the following increase(s) for the bonding between carbon atoms in the sequence of molecules C2H6, C2H4 and C2H2?

1. Number of bonds
  2. Length of bonds
  3. Strength of bonds

A. 1 only

B. 1 and 3 only

C. 3 only

D. 1,2 and 3

So we all answered B, because only number and strength increase and length decreases. Whereas in spain, their answers say that only strength of bond increases and not the number. I thought this is kind of odd. So if anybody around here is spanish and takes HL chemistry, could you please tell us about this point??

Edited by mahuta

One could interpret the "Number of bonds" as the number of bonds within the molecule, rather than between the carbons. The Spanish wording might have been worse, which is why B and C are accepted in the Spanish version.

No, not really because B isnt accepted there, which made it even more confusing.

Maybe it wasn't an interpretation error at all?

Maybe it CLEARLY stated that it was the bonds within the molecule rather than between the carbons?

Honestly, when I first looked at the question my eyes skipped over the part where it said between the carbons :)