General Questions about the TOK course/requirements/criteria

rch.hilburn

Positions taken on the knowledge issue means what you finally concluded on that topic. So for example, if you were considering the ethics of stem cell research and concluded that it was unethical and should be banned, then what implications would that have for AoK's such as the natural sciences and religion? Basically, what is the impact of your conclusion on the bigger picture.

It also means that when you are discussing counter-arguments in your presentation, you should discuss how those arguments impact other areas. Example: if you are discussing whether or not math was discovered or invented, what does accepting either of those arguments mean in terms of ramifications? Saying that math was invented could imply that there isn't very much to discover in the world, and that we have invented other things like science and religion to suit our needs. The converse is also applicable.

And obviously, you need to relate AoK's to each other. That's the connections part. Don't talk about religion, history and the arts as separate areas. There are links between your issue and other areas; if there aren't then you should choose different AoK's to explore and not force any connections (i.e. bull**** and make up ridiculous links). These connections are what make your presentation flow. Otherwise it's just a list of areas that don't make up a coherent picture.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My TOK teacher was great and very understanding of the heavy workloads in other classes so we got it pretty easy. We had lots of class debates and discussions but not a lot of assignments besides the TOK presentation and essay. Had to make up some skits, some mock presentations, maybe 2 essays and that was it.

• 7 months later...

I suppose you could start a thread in Debate/Discussion forum if by 'TOK blog' you mean a place where you can put things related to your life & what you've learned in TOK or something and want comments. It wouldn't be a blog per se. If you want to post random little things about whatever, you can put it in the chat [or IB chat] forum. I'm not familiar with the type of assignment your teacher has given you. Care to clarify?

Hey, I was just wondering if there was somewhere on this website i could start a TOK blog? I have just started IB and my TOK teacher said it would be okay to do a TOK blog as our journal, just not sure where to set one up... can anybody help? cheers :P

Websites such as LiveJournal.com offer free "blog" hosting.

• Like 1

I suppose you could start a thread in Debate/Discussion forum if by 'TOK blog' you mean a place where you can put things related to your life & what you've learned in TOK or something and want comments. It wouldn't be a blog per se. If you want to post random little things about whatever, you can put it in the chat [or IB chat] forum. I'm not familiar with the type of assignment your teacher has given you. Care to clarify?

What i am really looking for is to keep my TOK journal as a blog. I am not sure if a TOK journal is a universal thing, but that is what we do at my school anyway... its a place to write and discuss TOK issues, and my TOK teacher does not mind if I keep it online (so long as he can read it). Any ideas for some blog sites? Thanks :P

Sandwich, in the post above yours, suggested LiveJournal.

I've personally used www.blogger.com. If you have a gmail/google account, it's really easy to access. I bet LJ is as well.

Hey, thanks for this. I decided to create one on www.blogger.com, url is http://jdmarr-tok.blogspot.com. Nothing there yet, but give it a few days so i can enter my journal entries so far and feel free to take a look! Thanks again for all your help :P

• 10 months later...

To my knowledge the TOK assessment criteria haven't changed? Please somebody correct me if not, but I believe them to be current. Look on the IBO store website and they ought to be trying to flog you the syllabus on there. It should tell you which is most current.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember reading something along the lines that the tok presentation cannot be an essay read aloud. Does that mean having a 'script' and reading off of that, but having lots of eye contact/gestures, is unacceptable? Where's the line? I suppose it could vary between teachers but I'd like to know other people's experience with the application of that guideline. Thank you!

We just had our presentations today. In case anyone was wondering what I asked above:

The majority of the people in my class read straight off of a piece of paper (which was accompanied by a powerpoint) and didn`t deviate at all from what they`d written. My teacher didn`t seem to have any problems with this. However, we had quite lengthy discussion afterward which I guess makes up for how scripted the presentations were in general. Be prepared to think on your feet for this!

• 1 month later...

Does the presentation have to be on real life situation? Our teacher told us so but we aren't sure... It looks completely strange when he explains us how to do it! We have to start a presentation with a real life sitauation presenting characters taking part in it then ask a main knowledge question then a few sub questions and finally get back to the real life situation. Is it so?

• 3 weeks later...

Well lets go through the mark scheme together.

A. Identification of knowledge issue

The presentation identified a knowledge issue that was clearly relevant to the real-life situation under consideration.

B. Treatment of knowledge issues

The presentation showed a good understanding of knowledge issues.

C. Knower's perspective

The presentation, in its distinctively personal use of arguments and examples or otherwise, showed clear personal involvement and fully demonstrated the significance of the topic.

D. Connections

The presentation gave a clear account of how the question could be approached from different perspectives and considered their implications

in related areas.

In layman's terms, if you have a focused knowledge issue (normally expressed in the form of a general question containing ToK terms) , use examples from your surroundings (real life: news, stories in books, events that have happened to you), give your own opinion on the issue (Personally, I think.....), and give different interpretations of the issue (However, you could also look at the situation form this point of view), you will do well.