What are 'honours points'?

KiwiFruit

I know Aboo says I'm posting lots of Uni posts but hey some one has to,

On my preferred university it says this in the admissions page-

"Academic Performance

College prep GPA Calculated by Cal Poly for 9th -11th grade coursework designated on the application (with honors points granted for courses designated as "honors," “advanced placement" or "international baccalaureate" on a high school transcript, for up to eight semesters)."

My main :D ??? is what are honors points?

Does this mean my classes will be weighted like A=5 instead of a 4?

Anyone that knows could you please tell me?

Thanks,

Andrew Row

Bibliography,

http://www.ess.calpoly.edu/_admiss/undergr...BusSciMath.html

Edited by drewrow

It depends on the university, but I think it's to do with getting a Honours degree as opposed to a normal degree. Maybe a US university enthusiast can answer it better, but IB coursework contributes to honours points, and one needs to accumulate a fixed number of honours points to get a honours degree.

Remember, you're an international applicant. You don't need class ranks, GPAs and all that **** in your uni application. Our school never gives them, and out of the 3 people that applied to the States, one is now in MIT and another one had an offer (unconditional obviously) to Princeton but opted for Oxford instead.

No we don't. We can take English B as well :P . It's only English A1 that's hard. However, you'll be happy to know that from first examinations 2012 onwards, there will be an easy A1 English class for natives as well, called A English language and literature. Too bad you don't graduate then :P

And ezex, some people really do get offended about insulting math studies, people are a bit touchy when it comes to math skills.

Not that it would've helped me anyway since our school forces everyone to take the highest level of english anyways. And I'm sorry, that people get offended. Everyone who is here is here because they care enough about IB to go the extra mile. The only reason you care about succeding in IB is if you want to study at a great school and because you are brilliant. Getting offended for being insulted is a bad excuse for not knowing math. I'm bad in English and people constantly insult my bad english skills but I don't get offended, I try harder. Sorry for sounding all philosophical but really the only people who have the right to get offended are those who aren't trying hard enough.

Remember, you're an international applicant. You don't need class ranks, GPAs and all that **** in your uni application. Our school never gives them, and out of the 3 people that applied to the States, one is now in MIT and another one had an offer (unconditional obviously) to Princeton but opted for Oxford instead.

I did send my GPA and class rank in my Uni applications, it's weird that your school doesn't do them actually :P

OP I'm guessing honours points are when you do extra classes on some subject in the states, like taking calc 2 SATs or something! it's an american thing, don't think you'll need to justify yourself with regards to it...