Should I take SL Chemistry?

marsh13252

I’m choosing my subjects for IB right now and I don’t know if I should take SL Chem. I’m not super mathematically inclined, but I did get a HL Chemistry recommendation from my teacher. 

I’m worried it will be too difficult for me, and take too much time away from my HL subjects!

For reference my other subject choices are HL English LangLit, HL History, HL Global Politics and SL Chinese B, SL Math Studies and SL Bio/Chem

compared to physics, Chemistry SL has much less math and the calculations are more straight forward. Often times it could be just plugging into a formula and making sure units are compatible (eg L to m³, mass and mol etc). Chemistry definitely requires work to be successful in, but not because of the math.

Chemistry SL has straightforward calculations for the most part. The hard part is the theoretical aspects where you need understand how and why some reactions proceed and why some elements display certain properties, etc, to succeed in the course.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a lot of factors that go into it, but the main factors are whether or not it: one, will benefit you in the future (like, if Biology SL would better suit your career choice, then you might have to go with Bio SL to get those credits and scholarships), and two, if you are prepared to take self-responsibility to take it.  I took Chemistry SL but it was the first year my teacher had ever done an IB course before (the previous, experienced teacher was promoted from a teacher to an administrator, so we were the guinea pigs).  Our IAs and tests were messes (until the point our whole class would together would flunk), but I feel like if I had done more to at least teach myself the material, I would have done better.  In the end, SL courses and HL courses between each other are equally hard as they are equally easy, so it all really falls on your personal interest and self-drive.