Subject choices

itzz_tima

Hi, I’m currently in pre-IB and I have to choose my IB courses this week.

The 5 subjects that I’m interested in are:

-English A Lit/Lang HL

-Psychology HL

-Biology HL

-Swedish B SL 

-Math studies SL ( I struggle with maths )

For my last SL subject, I’m deciding between Global politics or Chemistry. I wanted to take ESS but there are many limitations unfortunately. I think I perform well in Chemistry but I’m a bit worried about the maths. 

I plan to study psychology/nutrition after IB in Canada.

Thank you for your time!

The math in Chemistry SL is mostly plugging in values into a formula and doing basic unit conversions (like mass <--> mol). Math does not constitute a large percentage of the course as it will be heavily conceptually based. However there are some sequential calculations you have know for the exams and it may be slightly more challenging to grasp certain concepts if you do not have the insight on the math. Because it is SL and not HL, some concepts are presented more disjointed and you may need to occasionally memorize without fully understand everything. In general chemistry is not required but it may supplement your application as admission offices may be looking for at least Math SL not Studies and chemistry is often recommended if not required.

Judging from historical data, very very few ESS students get 7s and it may be attributed to the lack of teachers qualified or experience to teach such an interdisciplinary course. Global politics is a new course and teachers may also lack experience in teaching it. ESS and GP will generally not help in your undergrad applications and I cannot definitively speak about their difficulty relative for Chemistry SL. These are type of courses in which if you get a 7, it may nudge your application bit in your favor, but otherwise they are not useful at all. 

Edited by kw0573
SL, not HL
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If I were you I would take chemistry. In general, it would open more doors to various universities, as chemistry is a more "standard" subject and is therefore usually more likely to help your application. At least, in our school they would push you to take chemistry. However, your higher levels look good!

• Thanks 1