World Lit, Outsider (Camus),Metamorphosis (Kafka)

dexter

I am English A1 SL and im about to start my WL, and im going to be doing Outsider [stranger] Camus and Metamorphosis (Kafka) and i cant link or quite see a clear link that is 1000 words or more! If any one knows any common theme or a quote or anything COMMON ANYTHING! im desperate !

ah, another desperate Jordanian on the forum!

some common themes: alienation and death. And this is from me looking at the wiki summary of the book! don't stress so much! you've clearly not understood the texts to be able to commentate or find similarities between them. So I'd take moneyfaery's advice and reread it =)

• 2 weeks later...

I think there are some excellent samples in the IB Guideline for English. And lucky you because they are based on the books you're discussing, so just take a look. We can't give you topics because it's your responsibility but let me tell you, you're given really good books. The ones I have to discuss are so short of simplistic that I don't know how much more I can keep inferring because it's beginning to sound like I am making everything up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To narrow down your topic a bit try to pick what aspect of the novels you want to focus on. If you like the main characters, write about their experiences. They are both very existentialist characters and just that fact lends to so many similarities. Or, if you'd rather write about how the craft of the authors is similar as Senioritis mentioned they are both absurdist (or at least to my knowledge). If you're into culture and languages you could talk about the impact of the countries the authors were writing in and how the reader is affected by a translation?

Still in a jumble? Try organizing your brainstorming and then picking whatever interests you the most, or if you're in a crunch whatever you think you can find the most support for though I'd advise the former.

Im really thinking of Hierarchy in Society the whole majority/minority in society as in just beacuse there are different ideas and they are of a musch small minority they were condemedand stuff like that is it a nice idea? anyy one want to add something to that?

I actually thought of doing it about women and all but i dont quite see your point about hierarchy in society conserning women? Care to explain?

Well Camu's character Maire is pretty much exploited by Merusault, plus there's also the character of the wife (the one at the beach) and even the abused girlfriend. The same exploitation is in Metamorphosis, but it's a little bit harder to find. I can think of a few instances where Gregor's sister is used. When the clerk from the bank comes to Gregor's house he mentions that she could be of use to divert the guy's attention (it's potentially a sexual reference saying that the guy has an eye for women and his sister might be able get Gregor in the man's favor). The more obvious exploiting of the sister is at the end when her parents think of how she'll bring in a good husband to better their family name.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...