Should I choose history?

Natalie.A

My school offers only History HL 

I love history so much but I am considering medicine and i am taking Chemistry HL and Biology HL so I am afraid history will require so much work 

From group 3 my school offers

anthropology SL/HL

history HL

economics HL/SL

global politics SL

Any advice?

Do not take history higher level unless you require it or it will help you in some way in your future studies. Take either economics, anthropology or global politics SL. Bio and Chem is already enough work. I would choose a language as your 3rd higher level as SL and HL is nearly the same in languages.

Hope this helps :) 

Edited by shellziess

If youre good in math then yes. I would recommend to take 4 HL's if you're taking math HL (just in case)... I think you can drop one right in the middle of IB2 (usually around november for students that do may session examinations) 

Edited by shellziess

Trust me don't take history. Im taking history Hl right now there's too much content to remember and im only in year 12 and  not  in year 13 yet . Contents about Russia and Italy is also very confusing furthermore  history homework is also very intensive as it is not straight forward as you must do a  ton of essays. It is also a very hard subject with HL an average of 4.2.Now im regretting taking history now I should have chosen another subject in my school although many people take history at igcse only a few take history at ib since it is vey difficult.

• Like 1

I got a 7 in HL History 4 years ago, so apologies if my knowledge is dated.

HL History is much easier to score a 7 in compared to HL Maths

I actually wrote a pretty substantive piece on HL History and why it has a low average score which can be read here: 

In terms of medicine, it won't disadvantage you having HL History if you have HL Biology and Chemistry, and SL Mathematics. If anything, having a humanity at HL shows you have a wider academic engagement. This can be beneficial in showing you can approach the study of medicine from a different angle. I know someone who wrote their EE on the history of a specific medicine, and another who wrote their EE (in global politics) on the politics surrounding the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. It's things like this that will make you stand out from the people offering the standard HL Biology, Maths and Chemistry.m 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you are going to take Chem HL and Bio HL, I strongly recommend you to not take history. As a student taking history, the content is going to overwhelm you. Instead, I strongly recommend Economics HL. Ironically, economics HL students achieve higher marks than SL students because the math section for HLs (paper 3) are grade boosters. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If you truly love history like I do I say go for it! I've had a great time in history and can honestly say so far into high school, it's the subject I've learned the most from in terms of skills such as reading and writing. As my history teacher puts it, "Its the hardest humanity in IB, but its certainly the most rewarding. You guys will realize this when you enter college and the workforce."