IB History SL - May 2017

MGL

Hi guys! I'm doing my first year of IB, in Spain, studying it in Spanish (though I'd prefer it in English!)

I had, as well as you my history exam of Secondary Level, and I was wondering how it had been for you; I'll tell my impressions:

The first paper, for me, was South Africa and USA, rights and protests; I could have done it quite better, as I knew all the necessary data. I didn't do it as good as I had expected.

In the second paper I had to choose questions from the Cold War and Wars of the XX century. Actually, I hadn't prepared them too conscious, of 123 pages of Cold War I only knew in a good way 15 pages, which were useful for answering one of the questions.

For the Wars of the XX century, i was well prepared, I chose a question about the influence of foreign powers in civil wars.

What, in fact, was really shocking for me was having only two questions out of six, as previous years. I was prepared for answering only one of those 6 in the cold war, and maybe 2 or 3 of XX wars. I had a little panic before the beginning of the exam, when I had discovered there were only those two questions, but I couldn't open the "questions books" to see if I had failed even before beginning. Finally, I did this part great, I hope!

And you guys, how about you? Did you do well in your exams? Did you know there would be 2 questions rather than 6? Was it shocking for you?

I don't Know about SL, but I was pretty sure that you are only allowed to choose 1 question per topic in HL.... There were definitely some chances I took (For instance, I didn't prepare much for the civil wars, but prepared ww1, ww2 and the guerrilla wars well), and the cold war question I felt was pretty decent...

I knew there were only going to be two this time due to the specimen papers, I was really worried, but am glad my gamble paid off.

17 hours ago, revumol7 said:

I don't Know about SL, but I was pretty sure that you are only allowed to choose 1 question per topic in HL.... There were definitely some chances I took (For instance, I didn't prepare much for the civil wars, but prepared ww1, ww2 and the guerrilla wars well), and the cold war question I felt was pretty decent...

I knew there were only going to be two this time due to the specimen papers, I was really worried, but am glad my gamble paid off.

So from what I know for paper 2 you can only choose one question per topic. Paper 3 is different, it doesn't matter.

Sorry, I didn't explained myself in a good way. Usually there were 6 options in every block, in which you had to choose 1 of 6. In addition, you have to answer 2 blocks, then you have to (or should) answer 2 questions. The thing is that, this time, you hadn't to choose 1 of 6, but 1 of 2 available questions.

I'll detail how my exam was: Secondary Level

Paper 1: South Africa + USA

Paper 2: 12 topics, among them the Cold War (2 questions, choose 1; I thought there would be 6 and i'd have to choose only one) and Wars of the XX Century (2 questions, choose 1; I thought there would be 6 and i'd have to choose only one)

Paper 3: No paper 3, only HL.

8 hours ago, shellziess said:

You can still get a pretty decent grade on that question if you did not have personal knowledge (I am talking like a 6 or a 7 out of 9).

How come you did not do any of the Paper 1 topics?

paper 1 had mongols, muslim, 1941 worsening japanese relations (the one I did), civil rights, and something about serbia I think? In class we just did peacekeeping in the 1930's, WW1, Imperialism before WW1, and authoritarian states. The closest to what we studied was the 1941 one, but in class we mostly did 1918-1939, then 1945 (Start of US-USSR conflict onward)