Math HL IA: Designing a freight elevator

sweetgirl

i am working on this portfolio task and it's due tomorrow.

my class and i are absolutely stumped on what we can suggest for how it can be useful in other situations. "other elevators" is about as far as we've got, but im not sure that thats really what they're after.

any thoughts asap would be much appreciated

i am working on this portfolio task and it's due tomorrow.

my class and i are absolutely stumped on what we can suggest for how it can be useful in other situations. "other elevators" is about as far as we've got, but im not sure that thats really what they're after.

any thoughts asap would be much appreciated

Well, like you said, can your model be applied to other elevators? Is it limited to use in mine shafts, or could you use the model in skyscrapers and office buildings, or to do so, how much would you have to modify it? Is it limited to this one mine shaft, or could it be used for different ones, at different depths? Things like that, I think you'll find enough to talk about.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand how an elevator works, can someone please enlighten me?

Does an elevator have the same speed up and down? Why/why not? If it does, would it still have the same speed up and down, if it on the way down the elevator was empty and on the way up heavy loaded?

Edited by mixtape

• 2 weeks later...

Hi sorry my portfolio is due in 30 hours and I'm stuck at question 3

Can anyone please give me a hint how to solve it? I mean, some more hints. It's still freakin me out

what I know is when t=0, y must be 0. and when t=6, y=0, v=0,a=0. basically everything has to stop

and SO WHAT's NEXT?

PLEASE

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, basically I have done this investigation and it is due this Monday. However, I'm not certainly sure one part of this assignment. Question number 3, it asked to "interpret what this means mathematically"? what exactly does that mean? I have got my new model and new function and everything. I don't know what they mean by explain mathematically? since all we have is a function and I just explain what the signs mean and the velocity/acceleration at each interval. I don't know if that consider "mathematically". Suggestion will be really appreciated. Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Having been given this IA also, I have come across one problem that is racking my brain. When an object comes to rest, its velocity is obviously zero, however it doesn't necessarily mean that the acceleration has to be zero, right? For example, as the elevator is nearing the bottom of the mine shaft, it should be decelerating, meaning its acceleration value should be becoming more negative. It decelerates to a point where the elevator stops, and then continues up to the surface, however the acceleration doesn't go to zero at that moment, because the velocity is changing. It doesn't seem to make since that as an object comes to a stop, it still has acceleration, especially when the elevator is at the top of the mine shaft, either before entering it or after exiting it.

This right now is the main problem I am having in explaining the validity of my own model. Hopefully someone who has a better grasp of physics can help. : )

I haven't done this IA, so there's a good chance that I'm not understanding you at all, but if the elevator comes to a rest, I think you're implying that it has stopped. When it comes to a stop, I think it stays at a stop for a certain significant amount of time so that the acceleration goes to zero as well. If the elevator reaches the bottom and stops, it's no longer accelerating [aka changing velocity over some amount of time]. But when the velocity goes from positive to negative or vice versa, you're correct in saying that the acceleration isn't zero. One more thing which may be irrelevant--decelerating is meant to mean decreasing the acceleration, from what I understand. Increasing the magnitude of acceleration in the negative direction is accelerating. Hope that was somewhat helpful.

I haven't done this IA, so there's a good chance that I'm not understanding you at all, but if the elevator comes to a rest, I think you're implying that it has stopped. When it comes to a stop, I think it stays at a stop for a certain significant amount of time so that the acceleration goes to zero as well. If the elevator reaches the bottom and stops, it's no longer accelerating [aka changing velocity over some amount of time]. But when the velocity goes from positive to negative or vice versa, you're correct in saying that the acceleration isn't zero. One more thing which may be irrelevant--decelerating is meant to mean decreasing the acceleration, from what I understand. Increasing the magnitude of acceleration in the negative direction is accelerating. Hope that was somewhat helpful.

Thanks for responding so fast! But that was what I was afraid of. It only makes since that an object coming to rest for a significant amount of time would have an acceleration of zero. Unfortunately my model doesn't take this into account apparently, and its too late to change it now. Oh well : )

haha, that was how I tried explaining it away in the paper, by arguing that it was simply caught in a moment of being instantaneously motionless :D I guess I'll see how my teacher wants to score that! I like your avatar by the way...*cough cough* I lost *cough cough*

Edited by mephisto275

• 1 month later...

hi! i'm doing this portfolio as well.

I really need some help since it's due soon. So, i'm in the process of making my model. I made a piece wise function for each time interval until t=3. My problem is that i'm not getting negative values for the distance... since the elevator is going into the ground ( a mine). I al however, getting the values that i want, except they are positive and not negative. I thought to just putting a negative sign around each of the piece functions, but i don't know if that's right. I wanted to find a way to figuring out how to make the functions so that the distances are negative and not positive with the same values.

Also, in the previous posts, i noticed ppl making thie model so that the bottom most distance is 80m... I made mine 100m, cuz i thought that's the bottom of the shaft and the elevator should go until there...

Any help will be most appreciated! thanks

one more thing... what's the deal with looking at the motion along the line x = -1. on the graph, the elevator's path doesn't come near that line : i graphed it in parametric mode, where x = T

Edited by Mahuta ♥
Please use the edit option rather than multi-posting, thanks- Maha

[quote name=Sunshine :D' date='Dec 26, 2009 - 18:12' timestamp='1261865542' post='60713]

Also, in the previous posts, i noticed ppl making thie model so that the bottom most distance is 80m... I made mine 100m, cuz i thought that's the bottom of the shaft and the elevator should go until there...

I'm confused about this as well. I thought that our models should ideally go to 100m and the given model just failed at that.

But other people are making their models go to 80m...are our models SUPPOSED to go to 80m? or 100m?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hello everybody,

well.. my maths portfolio topic is freight elevator, and i am still stuck up with this 2nd 9b) bit. redesigning my own model. i am unable to understand how? well like am i supposed to take the power of the lift and the mass of theload, the maximum carrying capacityof the lift, etc. how do i start modelling the function? am i supposed to start with velocity adn then differentiate it to accleration, or start with accleration, or start with velocity. lease do help. my submission date is nearing...plzzzzzzzzzzzz...ny1...!!!

• 4 months later...

I have done until 1 © and I assume that the weaknesses of the elevator is that it will not stop at t = 6 as the velocity is not zero? And the time taken to go down is longer than going up? Any other weaknesses that you guys have identified?

Oh, and I wonder why at t=0, the acceleration still has a value instead of zero?