Richard Stifler

Hey, 

i was wondering how you can include, in paper 1 and 2, the historiography and discussion of historians' points of views: write the arguments of the essay and then prior to the conclusion do a separate topic discussing the historiography, or should I include historiography for each argument I use (e.g Imperialism argument and thus include the view of an historian which thinks it was a fundamental cause for the outbreak of WWI - do this for every argument). So far, I have been doing the first, that is, writing all arguments and in the end do a separate discussion (more less 8/10 lines), so that I can then conclude the essay. What do you think it should be done/how do you do it? 

I also prefer doing it similar to your method - writing the historiography before the conclusion. What I also do while presenting the arguments is using "Some historians argue that …", "According to NAME OF HISTORIAN, the underlying cause of the WW1 was Imperialism" or "A JP Taylor conceded this interpretation and highlighted the struggle for mastery as a major cause of the Great War". 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

My teacher advised us to use historians sparingly, because if you put in too many historian's points, it can sometimes lead to the problem of not justifying and evaluating the viewpoint. So, I like to use one per paragraph of the essay, either at the end or before I provide any counter-arguments. In terms of actually writing it, it depends on how the answer goes. Sometimes I like to use something like "As historian name states/demonstrates/says/other word, historian viewpoint".