Music Revision Ideas

winter

For anyone that's taking Music as G6, what (if anything) are you planning to do to revise?

The only ideas I've got involve listening to, and writing practice commentaries on, various CDs from the library. We were given some CDs as an accompaniments to our text, however the extracts of the works are very short - less than one minute.

Have you been given any ideas as to how to best prepare for the exam?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest qzstuffs

the only thing i know as of now is that for HL Music, i have to compose 3 pieces of music [different styles] + performance [solo/group w/ total time limit of 25 min]

i have 2 years to prep, but i'm doing my best in getting used to the tenor and bass cleffs [similar yet not same] before i can compose ahhh

the only thing i know as of now is that for HL Music, i have to compose 3 pieces of music [different styles] + performance [solo/group w/ total time limit of 25 min]

i have 2 years to prep, but i'm doing my best in getting used to the tenor and bass cleffs [similar yet not same] before i can compose ahhh

HL is GREAT. (I loved the composition)

I wouldn't worry too much about tenor clef unless you want to write really high bassoon parts, or a full symphony. And even then, you can write it in 'sounding pitch' and transpose it.

What composing program are you going to use? We were lucky, and used Sibelius.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest qzstuffs

haha nope i'm not composing a symphony. another thing i hear about composition is that the total time limit is 15 min and the solo/performance time limit total is 25 min? what's that program you're talking about?

• 2 weeks later...
For anyone that's taking Music as G6, what (if anything) are you planning to do to revise?

The only ideas I've got involve listening to, and writing practice commentaries on, various CDs from the library. We were given some CDs as an accompaniments to our text, however the extracts of the works are very short - less than one minute.

Have you been given any ideas as to how to best prepare for the exam?

Do you have your exams in like two weeks as well? I do, and pretty much all I'm doing to revise in brushing up my recognition of the different periods (you'd want to know Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, 20th Century and World/Ethnic/Traditional styles) and recognition of instrumentation. Writing the practice commentaries is a good idea, but also reading critical studies of any pieces you can find will help. Also, make a list of essential music vocabulary and make sure you include as many words from it in your commentaries. Oh, and one more thing, and the end of the analytical part of commentary don't forget to write a small (1 paragraph) personal response section where you pretty much say what you found interesting about the piece and most importantly what music you can compare and contrast this piece with. Take all this account, but also remember that the exam is only worth 30% so don't place Music revision above any of your other subjects cause chances are they'll all be worth more.

Almost forgot about the prescribed work - Concerto for Orchestra. If you can read the score a few times and then read the Cambridge music companion to it (it's pretty short) you'll be fine. But remember, most of the time they will tell you what movement the extract is etc. so what they really want is analysis not just memorisation of the piece.

Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Ahhh. Music.

Who here is doing HL Music?

Because, um, if so - help?

I'm a Sophomore and we've just had course selection for IB classes and whatnot, and considering I'm not a Math or Science person, and I started my language late and therefore am doing ABinito - I've conned my school into letting me take H Music as they don't actually offer it.

But I'm getting really really scared now. :P ''

From what I know its 3 comps totalling 15 minutes and a 20 minute solo performance. I was talking to my Choir director about it (I'm in my schools A Cappella group/top choir-type thing) and apparently for all his SL kids he just sends in our CD and - boom - instant 7. But apparently the HL kids can't send it in - we have to do it/record ourselves.

Essentially, I'm just wondering what you guys can tell me. I know it's something I really want to do but they say that only 2 kids in like the past 18 years at my school have done it - so I don't have anyone else to turn to/ ask questions or even hear their Original Comps and get a sense of what I need to work towards. And according to teachers, these kids were like, writing string quartets and small symphonic pieces in their Freshman year – all by themselves.

OTL

Message me? Respond? I don't know, but nonetheless:

Experiences!

No, mine was recorded for me.

My compositions were:

- A piano duet (possibly with vibraphone, I don't remember to well...)

- A percussion ensemble piece, no melody. All rhythm. FUN TIMES

- A clarinet/flute/viola/cello/french horn piece (quintet)

There's also an exam.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there!

I take HL Music and.. Group 6 is the most work amongst subjects!! X)

It's fun, in a way, though. I love music, so I wouldn't want to take another subject instead.

For my 3 comps, I did a pop-song (piano, violins, voice), an impressionist instrumental (just piano) and a short French ballad (voice and piano). I was afraid of having too much as my first two comps were together nearly 11 minutes long, but it all worked out well by keeping the French ballad short. I play the piano, and recording 20 minutes of piano was more or less of a challenge (length wise), but difficulty wise quite ok as I'm very experienced with classical music.

I'm freaking out slightly about the end of year exam though. It would help SO much knowing what world music would come for example, and also the fact that we're the first IB music group to have Dido & Aeneas as a set piece makes it scary and I'm not sure what kind of questions could arise therefore. Everyone else has Dido & Aeneas as a set piece, right?

On one hand I'm kind of worrying *sigh*, but on the other hand it's 'just' 30%, so not too bad if someone messes up.

• 1 month later...

I take SL Music and have chosen Composition as my option. It's exactly the same as HL in every way apart from only doing one out of Performance or Composition.

I did well in my high school Music exam compared to how I expected to do, but am struggling with SL Music, mainly because there are only two of us taking SL and the teacher focuses much more on the HL students. I am one year in and am yet to do any composition- could anyone help me out with Composition guidelines and where to get started? I don't want to be too ambitious but neither do I want to be too simplified...

Any help/links much appreciated :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I take SL Music and have chosen Composition as my option. It's exactly the same as HL in every way apart from only doing one out of Performance or Composition.

I did well in my high school Music exam compared to how I expected to do, but am struggling with SL Music, mainly because there are only two of us taking SL and the teacher focuses much more on the HL students. I am one year in and am yet to do any composition- could anyone help me out with Composition guidelines and where to get started? I don't want to be too ambitious but neither do I want to be too simplified...

Any help/links much appreciated :coffee:

Ok first tip, make sure that you experiment with different instruments, texture and timbre. Try and write for an instrument, taking into account its qualities etc. If you're not familiar with them then they're pretty easy to find over the net. I'm assuming that you have to write an analysis for these compositions, so when you're writing them have in mind the kind of things you have to discuss, experiment with different forms and musical styles throughout history. And Finally try to write something that you can feel, do some improv on your instrument to work out melodies.

Try and have fun with it, you want to be able to write a piece that is easy to talk about, take inspiration from things you see around you. I think they'd really appreciate it if you tried to do a baroque one, then contrast it with an impressionist. It's easy to find guidelines for writing these types of music online.

GOOD LUCK