Chemistry HL IA Topic/Research Question Help

Tjeard

Hey,

I've had trouble thinking of a chemistry IA topic that I could do an experiment on, I recently thought of a research question:

how does the addition of unpaired electrons in an atom affect its paramagnetic strength relative to its weight?

Is this a suitable topic for a HL chemistry IA topic?

Not directly related to your question, but keep in mind that Group 4 Science IAs don't differentiate between SL & HL - there is nothing that mentions differentiation in grading between SL & HL. Any topic that would work for SL would work for HL and vice versa.

So don't feel pressured into having to investigate a relatively more complex topic just because you're HL.

Not sure how you are going to set up an experiment. You should conduct adequate background research although transition metals are a part of the syllabus. Usually I see experiments comparing different elements, not the same elements with different number of electrons so you should definitely check for what others have discovered relating to this to see if the data can be easily interpreted to a conclusion. Finally you may want to learn some more about magnetism (specifically magnetic dipoles, domain theory, and how currents induce magnetic forces).