Free Return Trajectory Equation Help!!

Amberrose248

Hey guys, 

I'm currently doing my research for my HL Maths IA, which is about the free return trajectory of a space shuttle that is fired from Earth and curves around the Moon to return back to the Earth.

However, I can't find an equation that will tell me the time it takes or the distance that the space shuttle travels in its orbit. So, I was wondering what the equation would be or any other way or finding the distance/time, as I can't find it on the Internet anywhere?

Thanks a lot! :)

This link is pretty useful in explaining the trajectory of an object as it orbits around another object

If you're interested in finding details about the speed at which the shuttle must be launched you can have a look here. This is physics: I'm surprised you couldn't find anything hahaha. 

Anyways hope you find this useful :)

4 minutes ago, 4lan said:

This link is pretty useful in explaining the trajectory of an object as it orbits around another object

If you're interested in finding details about the speed at which the shuttle must be launched you can have a look here. This is physics: I'm surprised you couldn't find anything hahaha. 

Anyways hope you find this useful :)

Oh thank you a lot :)

I was searching from the maths side of things, so I'm guessing that's why I couldn't find much physics stuff HAHA (not quite sure why though)!

For the IA, there needs to be a personal twist on times or some sort of extension to make it your own (personal engagement section), is there anything you'd recommend?

2 minutes ago, Amberrose248 said:

I am, but I have no idea how to link in my personal extension into this topic

Btw I think you're over complicating your IA. You should just focus on one part i.e. orbital motion of shuttle around planet.

For you personal engagement how about this: In physics, the orbital motion is assumed to be circular. However this is not the case. I decided to deduce an equation that would accurately model the trajectory of a shuttle of M (mass) orbits around X planet.

Lol don't forget to cite (IB will kill you if you don't).