Norwegian A1

Thomas

What is your books? The subject makes me confused - I find it really hard to write commentaries and stuff, and basically I'm just searching for someone to discuss it with, and was just wondering whether anyone on this forum actually take it?

We currently read Ut og stjæle hester by Per Petterson.

Not Norwegian for me but I do have Swedish A1 so it's a scandinavian A1. Although I don't like it x_x I mean the lessons are fine and such, just a tad boring.

A1 Language is usually structured the same way. The only difference is the actual language and the books you read. I

Yeah I know - I also think that the lessons are boring.

Not Norwegian for me but I do have Swedish A1 so it's a scandinavian A1.

I also have Sedish A1!! koolt, dej kan man snacka svenska med då ju. :D fast jag älskar A1. vilka verk läser ni? kan ju hända att vi har samma.. jag kan dra över dej till the dark side, så att du också blir frälst på poesi.. :D

I also have Sedish A1!! koolt, dej kan man snacka svenska med då ju. :) fast jag älskar A1. vilka verk läser ni? kan ju hända att vi har samma.. jag kan dra över dej till the dark side, så att du också blir frälst på poesi.. :P

Ååå najs :) Jag gillar böcker och sånt och har inget emot literaturkurserna men våra lektioner är inte så roliga kan man säga. Vi har läst verk av August Strindberg, Håkan Nesser, Eurpidies, Laura Esquivel, Emile Zola, Fjodor Dostojevskij, Hjalmar Söderberg, Gustaf Fröding. Har tre verk kvar tror jag men jag kommer inte ihåg vilka. Vad läser ni?

Förresten, märkte att vi har samma ämnen. Bara olika HL and SL :blush:

We are going to read Oedipus - not looking forward to it - everyone says it's so complicated! Anyone read it?

I told myself I'd answer this but then I forgot. Sorry. ^_^

Anyway, complicated in what way? I found the English translation I read was pretty straight forward. The story line is also pretty easy to understand. But I guess there's a lot of dramatic irony in the play. I remember writing all over my copy when we did in class - dramatic irony. They happen about everywhere.

There are quite a few metaphors in it as well. Some I can remember: light and sight, Oedipus as the ship captain.

It's not my favourite work in my A1 books as it's quite gory at the end but it's readable.

• 1 month later...
Guest SkewYou
What is your books? The subject makes me confused - I find it really hard to write commentaries and stuff, and basically I'm just searching for someone to discuss it with, and was just wondering whether anyone on this forum actually take it?

We currently read Ut og stjæle hester by Per Petterson.

ughh norwegian... i take it! Im IB2 and so far Ive read Beatles, Den Fremmede, Fluenes Herre, 1984, Stolthet og Fordom, Garman & Worse, og noen poesi bøker. Then I have two other books i still have to read, but I dont remember the name of them.

Commentaries will get easier! It is just a matter of practice. Last year I did a commentary once a week pretty much, so now they are just a regular routine. Essays on the other hand, I dont get! And i suck at them, which worries me.

• 3 weeks later...

I just did my norweigan oral for the SL.

I did a passage from one of Ibsen's plays.

The only tips I can give you is the following;

- Show great variation in your vocab.

- Analyse the text in debt. It is actually better to talk about some things (in the passage) in great depth, than actually just talking about "everything" superficially.

- STRUCTURE your commentary well. This is reallt essential. Spend 1-2 min. on introudicing the passage and place it in a context so that you show that you know where in the book/play the passage is taken from. Spend then 10 min talking about the passage itself. Then spend the two last min, on concluding; summerize your main points/arguments.

- Make it sound natural; not too rehearsed. Do not WRITE down your commentary during the 20 min of preparation and read it. That will gove you low marks. Just write down your main points.

Don't be afraid to pause, think for a moment before continuing. It only shows that you're actually "considering" the things coming from your mouth. =)

Hope this was helpful.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
However, I think scandinavian languages(let's just exclude Finland, shall we?) are fun... And I like analyzing books... :D

:) Finnish is way more fun than any other Scandinavian language. It's a lovely language in all ways XD . Besides you can express yourself more freely in Finnish than in Swedish thanks to the 14 different conjugation classes for nouns etc. etc.

:) Finnish is way more fun than any other Scandinavian language. It's a lovely language in all ways XD . Besides you can express yourself more freely in Finnish than in Swedish thanks to the 14 different conjugation classes for nouns etc. etc.

I'm sure it is, the only reason I dicriminated it was because I simply don't understand it, which makes it hard to decide whether it's a nice language or not. :D

I'm sure it is, the only reason I dicriminated it was because I simply don't understand it, which makes it hard to decide whether it's a nice language or not. XD

haha I was only joking btw :) . But it is great, but Swedish isn't bad either as it's so easy to learn :D