Urgent HL homework - Geometric Sequences

astonky

How can I do this:

Sn is the sum of the first n terms of a geometric sequence with first term a and common ratio r. Let Pn represent the product of these terms. Write Pn in terms of a and r.

Show that the sequence formed by taking the reciprocals of the terms is also geometric. Write Rn, the sum of the first n terms of the reciprocals, in terms of a and r, and hence show that
(Sn/Rn)n = (Pn)²

• Angry 1

Sn you should know, and is in the data booklet. Pn = a * (ar) * (ar2) * ... * a(rn-1) = an(r° * r* r² * ... rn-1) = an(r0 + 1 + 2 + ... n-1)

= a* r ^ ((n-1)(n) / 2)).
The reciprocal sequence is 1/a, 1/(ar), 1/(ar2), you need to show that this is in the form tn=(b * sn-1), where b is analogous to a, and s is analogous to r. 

Once you get the general term, plug it into the formula for geometric series. 

Let me know where exactly do you need help with. 

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for your quick response. I'll shoot a few more questions at you, if you don't mind.

I''m good with Sn. I get a part of Pn but I though it would be an * rn-1 instead of an * r ^ ((n-1)(n) / 2)). Can you please explain that?

And what do you mean by showing this in the form tn=(b* sn-1 ), like tn= 1/ (a * rn-1) ?

So would Rn = (1/a ( 1- 1/ rn)) / (1-r) ?

After that, I'm really confused. What do you do next?

2 hours ago, astonky said:

I''m good with Sn. I get a part of Pn but I though it would be an * rn-1 instead of an * r ^ ((n-1)(n) / 2)). Can you please explain that?

Note that 0 + 1 + 2 + ... n-1 is simply an arithmetic series, which means that it's equal to n(n-1)/2. Here is my full worked solution for your question. Let X represent the first sequence, and Y represent the second (which is the reciprocal of the first). Since X is a geometric sequence, so Xn=arn-1 by definition.

(1) Because Pn is the product of the first n terms so we have: Pn=(ar0)(ar1)...(arn-1)=anr0+1+...+(n-1). As mentioned, 0,1,...,(n-1) is an arithmetic series, so the answer must be:

Pn = anr0+1+...+n-1 = anr(n(n-1)/2)

And hence:

(Pn)2 = a2nrn(n-1)

(2) Because Y is the reciprocal of the first, so Yn=1/Xn=1/(arn-1)=(1/a)(1/r)n-1. It's now clear that the Y must also be a geometric sequence, with the first term being (1/a), and the common ratio being (1/r).

(3) Substituting (1/a) for the first-term and (1/r) for the common ratio into the formula for finding the sum of a geometric series, we have: Rn=(1/a)(1-(1/rn))/(1-r). Simplifying this whole expression is left as an exercise for you. But all in all, you should be able to get:

Rn = (1/a) * { r(rn-1) } / { rn(r-1) }

(4) As for Sn, it is straight out of the formula booklet: Sn=a(rn-1)/(r-1). Hence:

Sn/Rn = {a(rn-1)/(r-1)} / {(1/a)*r(rn-1)/rn(r-1)} = {a(rn-1)*a*rn(r-1)} / {r(rn-1) (r-1)}

=> Sn/Rn = a2rn-1

=> (Sn/Rn)n= (a2rn-1)n = a2nrn(n-1)

This completes the proof.

Edited by Vioh
  • Like 2