Advice (Organic Chemistry)

Scienuk

Hey there!

This year being my final year of IB, I'm going to be taking HL Organic Chemistry and always hear that Organic Chemistry is the hardest topic out of all the 11 topics, so for all of you who have taken organic chemistry or maybe have even taught it, what topics should I revise and focus on before the beginning of the school year so I can excel at Organic chemistry? 

Thanks!

Now in university, I took organic chemistry 1 last semester. Even with at least 40-50% new material compared to IB (2009 syllabus core + HL + organic option G), it felt much less intimidating. I can only suggest that you just get used to organic chemistry, and it could mean that you learn about basic nomenclature, and preview the reactions the teacher will cover. You take biology so you know about memorization. I don't think you need memorization for most of chemistry, but you do in IB organic. But it's like the memorization in math, in which you become used to the question after hours of practising (practicing). There's no better preparation than to cover the content on your own before the class lecture. People might say that for all subjects, but it is especially important first time interacting with organic chemistry. You might have encountered basic organic chemistry nomenclature, but IB doesn't really test those, instead they test reactions and isomers. 

• Like 1

If I were you, I'd start with the SL topics and once you have mastered that, move on to the HL topics. 

I'd say the most difficult part of HL organic chem is understanding all the reaction mechanisms.

I have a full range of videos for both SL and HL here that cover the organic chem option.  

http://www.msjchem.com/topic-10-organic-chemistry.html

http://www.msjchem.com/topic-20-organic-chemistry-hl.html

48 minutes ago, Msj Chem said:

If I were you, I'd start with the SL topics and once you have mastered that, move on to the HL topics. 

I'd say the most difficult part of HL organic chem is understanding all the reaction mechanisms.

I have a full range of videos for both SL and HL here that cover the organic chem option.  

http://www.msjchem.com/topic-10-organic-chemistry.html

http://www.msjchem.com/topic-20-organic-chemistry-hl.html

I'm actually a little confused as with the new Chemistry syllabus, parts from the old option topics were incorporated into core, which would include the Further Organic Chemistry option. Is there a way to find out what content exactly from that option topic was incorporated into the current HL Organic Chemistry core syllabus, so it would be possible to still practice from past Further Organic Chemistry option papers (as there is a lack of new syllabus papers)?

@IB`ezYou should compare the syllabus in detail on your own. From what I can remember, the electrophilic additions and substitutions from Further Organic Option G carried over to HL, as well as any stereochemistry. However, there are a lot of new content in the 2016 syllabus, such as reduction of nitrobenzene and reduction of aldehydes/carboxylic acids. There also seem to be greater emphasis on reaction conditions, though I haven't seen the May 2016 papers yet. 

7 hours ago, kw0573 said:

@IB`ezYou should compare the syllabus in detail on your own. From what I can remember, the electrophilic additions and substitutions from Further Organic Option G carried over to HL, as well as any stereochemistry. However, there are a lot of new content in the 2016 syllabus, such as reduction of nitrobenzene and reduction of aldehydes/carboxylic acids. There also seem to be greater emphasis on reaction conditions, though I haven't seen the May 2016 papers yet. 

Hmm alright alright. If I were to guess, it could probably be the E/Z stereoisomerism (as I distinctly remember Cis/Trans isomerism, as well as enantiomers being on some past exam papers) that's also carried over from Option G to HL though you're right, I should just cross-check with both syllabi. 

Edited by IB`ez

13 hours ago, Msj Chem said:

I'm not sure what was in option G as I never taught that option. 

However, it is good advice to compare both syllabi and see if there is any crossover.

This page may help:

http://www.jon.hk/2014/05/ib-chem-2016-topic/

This is very helpful -- not just for comparing both Organic Chemistry syllabi, but also as a whole to know what to still study/practice for from the old syllabus. Thanks! 

I would focus on the SL functional group naming and writing. Being really familiar with these makes everything else easier. Both MSJChem and myself have heaps of comprehensive videos on this with the syllabus embedded. Richard Thornley of course has a full set too. In particular I've made free online quizzes to help with this.