Hi, 

I have been trying to do my maths IA (HL), and I did think that I found a reasonable topic. So basically my topic is related to spirographs (maths behind it to be precise). I was initially planning to find the area of the figures of hypocycloids. But then I realised it is already all over the internet. This then seems to be unoriginal (or do you think its fine to proceed?). 

Now that it looks unoriginal, I decided to twist it a bit and find the hypocycloid consisting of a circle rolling inside an ellipse. But the problem here is, this requires stuff like curvature and elliptical integral. I understand them, but is this too complicated for our level?

Another important question. if I am using trigonometry and parametric equations for my IA, is that commensurate will the level of my course? 

Finally (promise this is last question), do we have to give OUR input or show that we found out something entirely by ourself? Like can I still go with simply just finding the equations of hypocycloids, deriving its area and arc length? (this would include integration, differential equations, parametric equations) But the only doubt I have is that is it feasible to something as basic as this, that's widely available on internet?

I am sincerely so thankful to anyone who helps me out here!! 

Edited by paul_anderson

Hello,

I think its a great idea! Two things you would have to do:

1) Make sure that anything above and beyond the syllabus is properly introduced in the introduction (you can pm me and i can show you how i tackled that problem in mine)

2) Add a personal touch to it, maybe "invent" a spirograph if that is feasible or apply it to some hobby of yours

Hope this helps, best of luck :)

• Like 1

Have you read the Florence Nightingale sample IA? The student used math to discover a property of some graphs, which was intentional when Florence Nightingale produced them, as opposed to something entirely unknown to anyone. IB wants you to demonstrate this facilitation from shared math knowledge to personal knowledge. 

Usually, the method to find areas is to take a section, change parametrized equation to cartesian, then use integrals taught in IB to calculate. This is commensurate with level of Math HL.

There is a balance between difficulty of content, and originality: while more difficult topics may get your higher marks in Use of Mathematics, it may be harder to score Personal Engagement points; the opposite could be true to easier topics. Ultimately, Personal Engagement is a more difficult criterion to score well in. It may be more appropriate, in certain IAs, to break free from the more academic discussions found in math papers or textbooks, and to adopt a more personal narrative while exploring the topic. This often comes unintuitive to students who are used to strict third-person narrative when it may not be the best format to score high under IB Math IA criteria.  

Edited by kw0573
  • Like 1