IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO ENGINEERING WITH SL MATHS?

triballninja

Hey guys, 

I am starting the IB diploma program on August 2016... My IB subjects so far  are - 

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

Economics HL

English SL

Spanish SL

Math SL

For universities, I plan to go to an engineering school. I plan to study chemical engineering. My school won't let me take HL Maths, so does it put me on a huge disadvantage to not take SL maths?
I plan to apply to Singapore Universities such as NUS or NTU. Please tell me if its possible to apply with these classes.  

You can, but you'll be at a big disadvantage over applicants who do have HL math or its equivalent, have to take some sort of foundation math course at your university, or be restricted to places where HL math isn't a hard-line requirement, which will cut out the majority of top schools if you're aiming for that.

Talk with your school about taking HL math because it's pretty important in chemical engineering, speaking from experience.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It is possible and you should try! For engineering, I personally think that going to a top school isn't necessary. Any school will teach you what you need to know and you can become a professional engineer from any accredited program. Apply for programs with co-op since this will help you develop your skills.

Also, Canadian universities don't care about HL Physics or Math. I'm pretty sure there are many universities worldwide that also don't need HL Math

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VeronicaG said:

It is possible and you should try! For engineering, I personally think that going to a top school isn't necessary. Any school will teach you what you need to know and you can become a professional engineer from any accredited program. Apply for programs with co-op since this will help you develop your skills.

Also, Canadian universities don't care about HL Physics or Math. I'm pretty sure there are many universities worldwide that also don't need HL Math

Although this is most certainly true for Canada I believe one should also consider how he will deal with the engineering course itself. Engineering courses, especially Chemical Engineering are highly demanding in-terms of Mathematics, thus a strong grasp of Math HL is necessary to be at the top of your game. If I were you I'd do as suggested by Veronica and apply with Math SL but then study Math HL self-taught as an extension of the SL stuff to further aid you when you go to uni. Once again this is just my two cents. 

Best Regards 

Edited by Djsporting
  • Like 1