Option selection

Harry Yoon

So for math HL the option is significantly more challenging than core and covers a lot of material. It's not in group 4 where you can basically learn it in a week or two. If you want to do another option instead of Stats, you should ask your school to register you for another option come this October or November (first deadline: Nov 15) when they register you. Typically the school choose your option but I have not found specific written instructions in either the Handbook or Regulation or the HL Math Guide that you cannot choose your own topic. You just have to officially register in that option because each candidate (and school) only gets the questions for the specific option. Remember that you still have to do Stats from the Core regardless. Good luck!

2 hours ago, kw0573 said:

So for math HL the option is significantly more challenging than core and covers a lot of material. It's not in group 4 where you can basically learn it in a week or two. If you want to do another option instead of Stats, you should ask your school to register you for another option come this October or November (first deadline: Nov 15) when they register you. Typically the school choose your option but I have not found specific written instructions in either the Handbook or Regulation or the HL Math Guide that you cannot choose your own topic. You just have to officially register in that option because each candidate (and school) only gets the questions for the specific option. Remember that you still have to do Stats from the Core regardless. Good luck!

I am actually currently 1st year of IB, and will be taking the finals in 2017. Then if the teacher is teaching Stats, and I want to take Calculus, do I have to go to the teacher and ask to register mine as Calculus?

1 minute ago, Harry Yoon said:

I am actually currently 1st year of IB, and will be taking the finals in 2017. Then if the teacher is teaching Stats, and I want to take Calculus, do I have to go to the teacher and ask to register mine as Calculus?

That's what I meant with "come this October or November"-- I certainly don't expect you to be a May 2016 candidate asking this question! If you don't tell your teacher and the teacher automatically enroll you in Stats and Prob then that's the only HL Math Paper 3 delivered to the school. If you miss the November 15 deadline then you have as late as April 15 of 2017, but with additional fees to IB that your school likely won't pay for you. It also means you have to learn Topic 9: Calculus outside of class. Topic 9 is very different from core calculus. We learned Topic 9 in very fast-paced 6 weeks (faster than we ever went in core HL) and that's the timeline you should consider when you study the option on your own. This is different from most other IB subjects, because almost always all questions from the options are sent to the school.

• 3 weeks later...

You can as an individual student take a different option. I studied sets relations and groups whilst the rest of my class did stats and prob.

You just need to go to your IB coordinator and inform him/her of your decision