Complex number and trig -- past paper question

cccc

Hi, I have a slight query on the following question. This is from a higher level paper (i have attached both the question and the answer) 

For part (c) I don't know how they could exchange 8pi/5 with 2 pi/5 and don't quite understand the sign changes. This goes with 6pi/5 to be replaced with 4pi/5

Because if you draw out the CAST diagram cos 8 pi/5 should be in the A qudrant (from 0 to pi/2) which means that both cosine and sine should be positive? and not cosine being positive and sine being negative as the answer suggested. 

Any advice would be great! Thanks. 

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 5.52.03 am.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 5.51.09 am.png

While I was revising for HL Math this was one of the most difficult questions I encountered. Just to clarify, Q1(A) is 0 to pi / 2 (or 2.5 pi / 5 ), Q2 (S) is pi/2 to pi (or 5 pi/5). Q3 (T) is pi to 3pi/2 (or 7.5 pi / 5). and Q4(C) is 3pi/2 to 2pi (or 10 pi / 5). So 8 pi /5 is in the C or fourth quadrant. 

For the change of argument question. cos is horizontal component of a complex number, and remain the same the the complex number is reflected across the real axis (to become the complex conjugate). For the complex number cos (6 pi / 5) + i sin (6 pi/5), angle 6 pi  / 5 reflected across the real axis is 4 pi / 5 (from pi + pi/5 to pi - pi/5). 
However sin is vertical component so when it reflects across the real axis the sign is reversed. So we would have -(sin 4pi / 5) as opposed to just sin (4pi/5). 
Similar argument for 8 pi / 5. From pi + 3pi/5 it reflects to become pi - 3pi/5. The sin component would equally be switching signs.

12 hours ago, kw0573 said:

However sin is vertical component so when it reflects across the real axis the sign is reversed. So we would have -(sin 4pi / 5) as opposed to just sin (4pi/5). 
Similar argument for 8 pi / 5. From pi + 3pi/5 it reflects to become pi - 3pi/5. The sin component would equally be switching signs.

@kw0573Thank you very much! However, my query is also this: I understand what u said abt the reflection on the real axis and the signs, but the 8 pi/5 thing corresponds to 3 pi/5 and not 2pi/5 so cannot cancel out with the 2pi/5 one in the first term? 

Edited by cccc

• 2 weeks later...