HL Bio, HL Chem, HL Geo, SL Math

SKlTTLES

Hi guys,

I've been accepted into the IB program and I chose Bio, Chem, and Geo (for socials) as my HL courses. I don't really know what to expect since I'm getting mixed opinions from other people. Some say that HL Bio and Chem are manageable and some say it's overwhelming. I definitely do not know how Geo HL will be because... I haven't actually studied Geography before. >_>

Teachers at my school say that Chem HL covers a LOT of content and Bio is a lot of work. I'm kinda getting nervous now cuz I feel like I might not be able to keep up with the workload or smthing. :lc:

Also, I chose Math SL since I'm not a big fan of math, but I'm not horrible at it either. How different is Math SL from regular Math 11/12? 

Thanks! :lol:

Your teachers are right about Chem HL and Bio HL being a lot of content and work, but I promise you, it's not too bad if you manage your time. If you procrastinate too much, then it'll become a pain - otherwise, you should be fine. I don't take Geography, but apparently Geo HL is pretty easy and I know everyone in my school who takes IB Geography takes it at HL since it's apparently quite easy and not too different from SL - even though some of them have never taken Geography before. Hence, it should be fine.

Unfortunately I don't know what Maths in Canada is like, but Maths SL isn't too bad - it's just about practice!

59 minutes ago, apoello said:

Your teachers are right about Chem HL and Bio HL being a lot of content and work, but I promise you, it's not too bad if you manage your time. If you procrastinate too much, then it'll become a pain - otherwise, you should be fine. I don't take Geography, but apparently Geo HL is pretty easy and I know everyone in my school who takes IB Geography takes it at HL since it's apparently quite easy and not too different from SL - even though some of them have never taken Geography before. Hence, it should be fine.

Unfortunately I don't know what Maths in Canada is like, but Maths SL isn't too bad - it's just about practice!

Thanks for the reply. Now I feel less nervous since I have an idea of what I'm in for. ^_^

2 minutes ago, colourful-skittlez said:

Thanks for the reply. Now I feel less nervous since I have an idea of what I'm in for. ^_^

Keep in mind, I'm assuming that science is ones of your strengths since you're taking them both at HL - if so, you should be fine. Just practice, practice, practice with Maths and Chemistry, and for Biology, keep revising topics!

I'm from Canada too. At my program, you finish high school math (functions and calculus) in grade 10 Pre-IB/MYP. Then in SL Math, you explore the topics you've learnt already more deeply (you expand on them) and slowly start moving into standard first year university math courses. That means if you take SL Math, it'll be more similar to the type on content in university/college than the content in high school. At least that's what my teachers tell me. I'm assuming Math Studies will be more like high school.

Also, many people say that HL Chem and Bio is difficult, and it can be a bit scary, especially if your teachers are saying it too. However, like apoello said, time - management skills can make it more manageable, hopefully.

Also, I chose Math SL since I'm not a big fan of math, but I'm not horrible at it either. How different is Math SL from regular Math 11/12? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IBGeek said:

I'm from Canada too. At my program, you finish high school math (functions and calculus) in grade 10 Pre-IB/MYP. Then in SL Math, you explore the topics you've learnt already more deeply (you expand on them) and slowly start moving into standard first year university math courses. That means if you take SL Math, it'll be more similar to the type on content in university/college than the content in high school. At least that's what my teachers tell me. I'm assuming Math Studies will be more like high school.

Also, many people say that HL Chem and Bio is difficult, and it can be a bit scary, especially if your teachers are saying it too. However, like apoello said, time - management skills can make it more manageable, hopefully.

Alright. So basically in IB I should fix my procrastination problem and just keep studying. XD

Just now, colourful-skittlez said:

Alright. So basically in IB I should fix my procrastination problem and just keep studying. XD

Definitely, start building time - management habits so you have them established by next year! BTW I'm planning on taking HL Chem and Bio too. I'm a bit nervous about it, but I've seen many people do it while still maintaining a life so it should be okay!

7 hours ago, colourful-skittlez said:

Hi guys,

I've been accepted into the IB program and I chose Bio, Chem, and Geo (for socials) as my HL courses. I don't really know what to expect since I'm getting mixed opinions from other people. Some say that HL Bio and Chem are manageable and some say it's overwhelming. I definitely do not know how Geo HL will be because... I haven't actually studied Geography before. >_>

Teachers at my school say that Chem HL covers a LOT of content and Bio is a lot of work. I'm kinda getting nervous now cuz I feel like I might not be able to keep up with the workload or smthing. :lc:

Thanks! :lol:

Biology and Chemistry are tough subjects. There is no beating around that bush. That being said, you seem to be a bit confused and getting mixed opinions.
Personally, I would say that Biology HL and Chemistry HL at once is a very hard combination by virtue of the enormous syllabi and tough concepts.
In terms of Geography, if that's your interest then go for it, its always advisable to have your humanity at the Higher Level.
It tends to be a subject that is fairly methodical in terms of scoring a 7, but is demoralising and a little boring. I know someone who just completed IB, he scored 45 points and took Geography HL, citing it as a boring but easy 7. If you look at the Geography syllabus and like the looks of it, then my advice, definitely take it.

However, the best advice to give you would realistically be this sort of structure and adjust throughout in terms of levels.
Fluent Language HL
Foreign Language SL/ ab initio (unless you speak the foreign language at home)
Humanity HL
Science 1 HL
Science 2 HL
Maths SL 

Eventually you can drop the Science, humanity or literature subject that you struggle with the most or that you are least like to attain your goals.
For me, this was my second science, Chemistry. Good luck with the "adventure".

Edited by aTeddy
  • Like 1

I have procrastination problems too, it's all about self-discipline! 
@IBGeek High school math is about the same as SL. In most subjects SL tends to be roughly the provincial level if not slightly lower. 
In university there will be definitely more difficult experimental science and math courses moving at faster pace than HL Chemistry. 

Edited by kw0573
horrible grammar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aTeddy said:

Biology and Chemistry are tough subjects. There is no beating around that bush. That being said, you seem to be a bit confused and getting mixed opinions.
Personally, I would say that Biology HL and Chemistry HL at once is a very hard combination by virtue of the enormous syllabi and tough concepts.
In terms of Geography, if that's your interest then go for it, its always advisable to have your humanity at the Higher Level.
It tends to be a subject that is fairly methodical in terms of scoring a 7, but is demoralising and a little boring. I know someone who just completed IB, he scored 45 points and took Geography HL, citing it as a boring but easy 7. If you look at the Geography syllabus and like the looks of it, then my advice, definitely take it.

However, the best advice to give you would realistically be this sort of structure and adjust throughout in terms of levels.
Fluent Language HL
Foreign Language SL/ ab initio (unless you speak the foreign language at home)
Humanity HL
Science 1 HL
Science 2 HL
Maths SL 

Eventually you can drop the Science, humanity or literature subject that you struggle with the most or that you are least like to attain your goals.
For me, this was my second science, Chemistry. Good luck with the "adventure".

Thanks for all the info! I definitely want to go into sciences which is why I decided to take two HL science courses. I heard the combination was already a lot of work so I wanted a fairly easy course as my last HL class. Geo seemed to be the best choice. 

11 hours ago, kw0573 said:

@IBGeek High school math is about the same as SL. In most subjects SL tends to be roughly the provincial level if not slightly lower. 
In university there will be definitely more difficult experimental science and math courses moving at faster pace than HL Chemistry. 

Really? Ok SL math shouldn't be too hard then. I was always told all math courses are above the academic provincial level, except math studies! I think I know what you're saying though. Most of the time the application questions on my tests so far are pretty similar to the ones in standard provincial textbooks....